A problem with the outside lights

reble

Kennewick, Wa
This is on a 2008 torrent. I climbed in my SUV a few minutes ago to go somewhere. The electric locks work, the electric windows work, the motor starts up. There is no indication of a charging problem and all of the dash panel lights work, ALL of the outside lights are dead except for the center brake light and the reverse lights. When we came home last night all of the lights where working just fine. The SUV has been parked in my parking space since last night and hasn't been moved since. I am not a stranger to working on cars. I used to install 2 way radios, car stereos, audio power amp's, speakers and foot warmers. But this is strange. I am guessing. To get this kind of an event. No headlights (low or high beam's) no running lights, front or back, no turn signals front or back. I would have to haven to blown about 5 fuses at the same time to get this effect. The fuse block is under the engine hood behind the battery. It is to dark and to cold right now to break out the VOM and start poking around the fuse block. Does anyone have any ides as to what mite be wrong.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I think this will help

reble

Kennewick, Wa
It's actually super simple and maybe a half hour job at the most. Watch the video melsg5 posted!
BTW and update. The turn signals are working front and back, left and right. Today the weather was very nice and I broke out the VOM and started poking around. I pulled the following fuses. headlights (high and low beams), running lights and brake lights. I checked for voltage at those fuses and found NO voltage at those fuse sockets with the headlights turned on, on manual control. And I jammed a stick between the brake peddle and the drivers seat. So now what? Change the turn turn signal lever? BTW I will have to pay someone to do it or talk my god son through it. I can't crawl under the dashboards anymore. I had to retire in 1995 because of back problems and micro tremors in my hands I can't hold the soldering iron still anymore.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
BTW the Chevy Equinox is NOT the same as a Pontiac Torrent. I had a problem with this Torrent about 6 months back and I was referred to the Equinox. The layout of the Equinox was not the same as the Torrent. If I could get under the dash on my back I could figure out how to take the turn signal arm out. If I tried to do it now. I would probably be laying in bed in traction.

MarkEggert

BTW the Chevy Equinox is NOT the same as a Pontiac Torrent. I had a problem with this Torrent about 6 months back and I was referred to the Equinox. The layout of the Equinox was not the same as the Torrent. If I could get under the dash on my back I could figure out how to take the turn signal arm out. If I tried to do it now. I would probably be laying in bed in traction.
Well, I replaced my turn signal/light switch stalk on my 2008 Torrent Base model a few months ago and it was EXACTLY as was shown in the video posted in this thread. You don't have to get under the dash. Move the adjustable steering column all the way up, remove the three screws holding the steering wheel column together from the bottom, then the stalk module is easily removed after releasing the retainer clips. The new one simply clips in and you put the steering column covers back on, attaching the three screws from the bottom.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
Well, I replaced my turn signal/light switch stalk on my 2008 Torrent Base model a few months ago and it was EXACTLY as was shown in the video posted in this thread. You don't have to get under the dash. Move the adjustable steering column all the way up, remove the three screws holding the steering wheel column together from the bottom, then the stalk module is easily removed after releasing the retainer clips. The new one simply clips in and you put the steering column covers back on, attaching the three screws from the bottom.
After I posted the "BTW the Chevy Equinox is NOT the same as a Pontiac Torrent." I was talking to an Amateur Radio Operator that I know on HF, that is a retired Pontiac mechanic. He told me that if u take off the thing on the back that says torremt and Equinox. thay are the same SUV right down to the frame. I will check out the video. after dinner tonight. Thanks. OOOO 1 junk yard that I checked today wanted $85. and change for the turn signal lever. There is a pick a part junk yard here that I mite be able to get it cheaper.

MarkEggert

After I posted the "BTW the Chevy Equinox is NOT the same as a Pontiac Torrent." I was talking to an Amateur Radio Operator that I know on HF, that is a retired Pontiac mechanic. He told me that if u take off the thing on the back that says torremt and Equinox. thay are the same SUV right down to the frame. I will check out the video. after dinner tonight. Thanks. OOOO 1 junk yard that I checked today wanted $85. and change for the turn signal lever. There is a pick a part junk yard here that I mite be able to get it cheaper.
NO! Amazon. Genuine GM brand new and MUCH cheaper than that.