• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

A problem with the power stearing

reble

Kennewick, Wa
This is on a 2008 Pontiac Torrent SUV.
1st off on coming home from a meeting Thur night Sept 5th We hit a small plastic shopping cart in the fast lane of the bypass hiwy. I was already slowing down to make a left turn at the next traffic light. It tore off the whole lower part of the front bumper. Gave the battery a hard jolt, I had to titian the battery connectors the next day. Knock out the passingers side headlight and tweeked the passinger side front fender. Other then that, for the next 2 weeks the SUV ran fine. When my room mate picked me up at the hospital when I was discharged Sunday afternoon on 9-15. The SUV was driving like the power stearing pump was dry. When we got home. I went looking for the tank to check the level and I can't find the power stearing fluid tank to check the level. After driving fine for 2 weeks, what can make the power stearing go wacko?. By the way the SUV is still drivable, just with arm strong stearing.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You have no hydraulic power steering, it is electric. You can start by looking for a blown fuse but beyond that you may have damaged some wiring due to your accident.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
I didn't know that the power steering is electric and not hydraulic. This 2008 Torrent is by far the newest car that I have ever owned period. Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram? Electric problems I can chase down as long as I have wiring diagram.
By the way melsg5 thanks for the info.

You have no hydraulic power steering, it is electric. You can start by looking for a blown fuse but beyond that you may have damaged some wiring due to your accident.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Autozone may have diagrams if you sign up. You should be looking at the main fuse box and the rack for a damaged wire.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
Melsg5 I not only found out why the power steering went out but also how it happened and how to restore the power steering. I went out to the SUV this afternoon to look for the fuse and I couldn't find it. I came back in and did a bit more hunting on the internet and I found the following YouTube video,
I then asked my room mate if there was more trouble with the battery clamps Saturday at the Hermiston OR rodeo? I was still in the hospital Saturday. He said yes. And I asked him if u needed a jump? He said yes. I asked him where did u attach the jumper cables? at the big bolts positive and negative in the fuse block. He jumped across the 80 amp fuse for the power steering. At lease popping that fuse keep the electrical system from been fried. Also what added to the confusion is the big main cable going from the the power steering fuse to the power steering motor it self is black not red like one would think. I wouldn't have figured it out at all if you hadn't straiten me out on the electric as appose to a hydraulic power steering. My field of work was repairing 2 way radios, tv's and early vhs machines.

Autozone may have diagrams if you sign up. You should be looking at the main fuse box and the rack for a damaged wire.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
OK, that makes sense, the mega fuse is a common cause of your problem when jump starting and I had not realized you had to jump start.