AC blower fan switch

jaysauls

Reaction score
Hey folks, hoping someone can give me some ideas on this...when I bought my 01 Aztek, the fan switch had been bypassed with a toggle switch. I replaced the original switch/selector, the resistor, and the fan (despite the fan working on the toggle switch). I still zip, nada -0- volts out of the resistor. I replaced the new one with the old just to see if I got anything different. Same results. When I initially changed the resistor I was getting 10volts, but still no fan. I'm not sure where to look/test/replace from here. Any tips would be super!

Jay

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you have voltage at the switch?

jaysauls

Reaction score
Yes, think it's sitting at around 12volts. I seem to be losing power from the switch to the resistor. Slowly the voltage from the resistor dropped to zero. I've had a few folks tell me it is a relay in the fuse box. I grabbed a bunch from a junkyard, replaced them with no change.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
You need to find a wiring diagram. Try creating an account at Autozone and see if they have one.

jaysauls

Reaction score
I actually have one, but not sure how to read it! My gut feeling is that something is grounding out, just not sure where. I'm going to replace the dash soon and when I have it torn apart I'm going to trace all the wires.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
A hot wire grounding out either blows a fuse or melts.

jaysauls

Reaction score
Ah...so far no blown fuses or anything melting. I'm also wondering if the resistor I bought was bad. Electrical diagnosis isn't not my thing. Thanks for you help