Add fog lights to a 2008 base model Grand Prix

Jack Boik

Reaction score
I recently had to replace the turn signal lever on my 2008 Grand prix base model. The lever was replace with a one that also includes a fog-light switch, even though my car has no foglights. When the fog light switch is turn to the on position, the fog light symbol is illuminated on the dash, as are the dashboard lights, and the parking lights. I would like to covert the turn signal lights to combination turn signal/fog lights that are controlled by the fog light switch.

My questions are:

1. Are the wires necessary to do the installation already in place in the base model, and it is a matter of connecting them to the fog lights, or do I have to run wires from the switch to the lights?

2. If I have to run new wires from the switch, where do the wires connect on the switch end; do I need to go through the firewall and up into the steering column? (I assume the wires will travel from the switch to a relay, and to the battery and fog light).

Thanks for any insight.
JB

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
have you removed the front parking lights in the bumper to determine if the wire harness exists?

Jack Boik

Reaction score
Hi melsg5,

Thanks for responding: As far as I can tell, the only wires are connected to the turn signal light; there are three: a ground, minor, and major. I can see no free harness. I am guessing that means I will have to run one - the question is how do I go about connecting it at the switch end?

JB

J_Roell24

Reaction score
Hey Jack,

This is funny because I was about to post the exact same thing, I bought PIAA fog lights that are a H11 bulb and realizing the amber lights on the bumper are not fog lights I have to install fog lights or I was thinking if there is a possible way to just get a new bulb adapter for the stock amber bulb that are on the lower front bumper.

J_Roell24

Reaction score
Factory fog lights have two sockets in the lamp housing one parking/turn light and the other fog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc5Mis5a8OY
But my 2008 bone stock base model grand prix has that lower light fixture but with just the amber colored light there isn't a fog light as shown in that video. I called AutoZone today and they said to just order an H11 socket and then satirize that bulb socket on the pre existing wire for the amber light.

ThaCancer69

Reaction score
If you already changed the
If you already change the multifunction switch to the option with fog lights all you have to do is change your socket at the bottom with the amber light if you look at the gray plug below the headlight assembly there will be a 4 prong wire connector you may notice yours doesn't have 4 prongs that leads to your amber color light. I think its a purple wire. You have 2 options from here go to junk yard grab the connector that has fog lights or add grab a pigtail for the h-11 bulb and it will work

Pappabear4

Reaction score
But my 2008 bone stock base model grand prix has that lower light fixture but with just the amber colored light there isn't a fog light as shown in that video. I called AutoZone today and they said to just order an H11 socket and then satirize that bulb socket on the pre existing wire for the amber light.
I ordered a replacement light kit that comes with the fog lamp included $25 each. Now to tackle the wiring problem

Pappabear4

Reaction score
If you already change the multifunction switch to the option with fog lights all you have to do is change your socket at the bottom with the amber light if you look at the gray plug below the headlight assembly there will be a 4 prong wire connector you may notice yours doesn't have 4 prongs that leads to your amber color light. I think its a purple wire. You have 2 options from here go to junk yard grab the connector that has fog lights or add grab a pigtail for the h-11 bulb and it will work
Do you have a picture of that. I have an 08 that I have done everything but wiring. Does existing handle it outside of the pigtail?

texasadrenaline

Reaction score
Can anybody clear up on what to do to get the fog lights to work with the 3 prong harness? Is there anywhere to buy a 4 or just got to get lucky and find a junk one for parts? I see the answers about a h11 pigtail but I have no idea what that would be. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.