Adding Transmission Fluid

W

wheelajd

I replaced a radiator on an 08 Pontiac Torrent and lost some transmission fluid. I would like to top it off but am unsure if fluid can be added through the capped off vent hose into the transmission. Any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know how to check to transmission fluid level in this vehicle?

I can not find the dip stick. How do you know that you lost some transmission fluid if you don't know how to check the fluid? I want to change mine too, but I don't know how to check the transmission fluid. I want to do this service my self, since I've done it in my other car. Can anyone help us, how to check and refill?

white98bonn

sioux falls, sd
he knows he lost some because the transmission fluid cooler runs throught the radiator. when you disconnect the cooler lines you loose some fluid.

So, there is no way I can change the fluid myself? How do I know if it needs to be change then, if I can not see if it's Black (bad fluid). Maybe just by the miles of the car? Mine is olmost 80000 yikes!! How much money would be .2 hours of work?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
you have to get the car up in the air using 4 jack stands or a ramp. Then pull the plug and check the fluid level/condition, at 80k I would change it.

sabercat

anyone got a step by step of changing the fluid, I have'nt really looked, but is there a drain on the pan, and where do you fill it at, how many qt's if you drop the pan? Thanks

G

G-561595

I can not find the dip stick. How do you know that you lost some transmission fluid if you don't know how to check the fluid? I want to change mine too, but I don't know how to check the transmission fluid. I want to do this service my self, since I've done it in my other car. Can anyone help us, how to check and refill?
There is a check valve under the trans. But the car has to be level a hydrolic lift is necessary so its recommended to take it to a shop or a mechanic with a hydrolic lift or underground bay