Another Antifreeze Leak

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan 4-Door - 3800 Series 3 (Grey)

Ok. This is the third time. The first time it was a leaking elbow in the motor; the second time my mom hit a baby deer and messed up the radiator; now, after getting everything fixed, we now have another antifreeze leak....

I've checked all of the antifreeze hoses I could find and those aren't leaking. I've checked the radiator for leaks. I looked under the car after adding antifreeze and while the car was running. As far as I can tell, I can't find the leak. I think it may be leaking in the engine block because white smoke will sometimes (but not always) come out of it. I have a pic here showing exactly where the smoke comes from. It's coming out from the dark areas.

Can an antifreeze leak create white smoke?

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
Ok. The mechanic has the car. He called us and said that the water pump was leaking. Can this cause smoke to come out of the motor?

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
yes a leaking water pump can cause antifreeze to hit a hot engine and smoke.
And we have more information. The smoke is the head gasket going... So Doug was right. He also said the car is running really bad which it was before we took it to him and he wants to fix everything. Soooo... now he wants to fix all of that and it's going to cost us exactly $1,400. He said that he had to ship the motor out and send it to another town so those guys could clean it up (throttle body included) and replace the head gasket. He's going to take care of the water pump and everything else that needs fixing. Again, the total price is $1,400. He's a really good mechanic whom we've been taking our vehicles to whenever we had any problems that I couldn't fix myself. His prices are always reasonable and fair. It's true that the car has been running like a piece of crap for a few months so we'd be delighted to have him take care of everything while he's got it. Do you think $1,400 is too much, fair, or a great deal?

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I'm puzzled why if he is a skilled mechanic, why he is sending the engine to someone else to do the head gasket. Without a breakdown between parts and labor and the labor rate per hour I have no way of telling you anything about the price.

92 Sunbird LE

Alot of labor involved, $1400 not a bad price , I would replace both head gaskets while it's all apart to be safe, otherwise it may come to bite you later....;)

Doug in P.R.🆒

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
I'm puzzled why if he is a skilled mechanic, why he is sending the engine to someone else to do the head gasket. Without a breakdown between parts and labor and the labor rate per hour I have no way of telling you anything about the price.
I am not really sure myself. I'll have to ask him. I'm guessing he doesn't really have the time to take the motor apart because he gets a lot of cars to work on. Even with his son helping him, they're swamped in work.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.