Anyone know anything about these cars? 1986 Pontiac Tojan

jcamp348

Hello! I'm new to this site, I found it snooping around the internet trying to info about a car I just purchased today. in fact until today I never knew this car actually existed. When I first had seen it on line I thought it was one of those kit-cars, then as I looked closer I thought it was kinda cool. Anyhow I'm in my late 50's and have owned several 69 Mustang Mach's both small and big block cars, also a few 69 and 70 chargers and a slew of other cool stuff all through the years from my teens till present day. I have however not seen one of these cars and wanted to know if anyone knew any particulars about it. I'm particularly looking for the vin and its not in the traditional drivers side dash area. I haven't even seen it on this site. maybe I was scammed? I didn't really do a whole lot of research on the vehicle as I thought it looked kinda cool and was going to buy it anyhow since I feel I paid a very reasonable price for it... So the car is a 1986 Pontiac Tojan. Any info on confirming its authenticity is greatly appreciated, thank you john

jcamp348

Hello! I'm new to this site, I found it snooping around the internet trying to info about a car I just purchased today. in fact until today I never knew this car actually existed. When I first had seen it on line I thought it was one of those kit-cars, then as I looked closer I thought it was kinda cool. Anyhow I'm in my late 50's and have owned several 69 Mustang Mach's both small and big block cars, also a few 69 and 70 chargers and a slew of other cool stuff all through the years from my teens till present day. I have however not seen one of these cars and wanted to know if anyone knew any particulars about it. I'm particularly looking for the vin and its not in the traditional drivers side dash area. I haven't even seen it on this site. maybe I was scammed? I didn't really do a whole lot of research on the vehicle as I thought it looked kinda cool and was going to buy it anyhow since I feel I paid a very reasonable price for it... So the car is a 1986 Pontiac Tojan. Any info on confirming its authenticity is greatly appreciated, thank you john
Not sure if I uploaded the photos right, but they went somewhere!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Pontiac Firebird customized by Knudson Automotive. Tons of google hits on the car. A little troubling that you don't see the VIN.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Look in the drivers door area but I can not imagine Knudson would have moved it. You are sure this is a legitimate sale? You have a title with a valid 1986 VIN number on it? The VIN should start with a 1G2F,S or W or X,87,F or G or H,G,N or L, followed by 6 numbers. Any other number could be a theft recovery where the state issues a new VIN or other circumstances.

Last edited:

jcamp348

Look in the drivers door area but I can not imagine Knudson would have moved it. You are sure this is a legitimate sale? You have a title with a valid 1986 VIN number on it? The VIN should start with a 1G2F,S or W or X,87,F or G or H,G,N or L, followed by 6 numbers. Any other number could be a theft recovery where the state issues a new VIN or other circumstances.
It appears as the seller provided a legit title. I does in fact have the traditional 17 character and numeric appearance. It does start out as a 1G2FW87F5GN then six remaining numeric figures. I was under the impression that all American made vehicles had a vin tag on the lower drivers side dash and also an accompanying fender or buck tag under the hood detailing the color codes and engine options, interior and trim as well. That’s what I’ve been used to all my life. Yes there is a tag on the drivers door with the same vin on that door but it’s a plastic sticker type tag with print on it. I knew that many vehicles did have a secondary tag on other locations such as the door but had a definite one on the dash because a door could be replaced because of damage or a number of reasons and if the owner did not make sure the vin plate went in the new door it could be lost for ever. I can’t belive the vin s not in a traditional location up on the dash by the drivers side pillar in this type of late model car. Unless some one knows for sure they didn’t put one there because I was a limited production vehicle.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I would think it was a federal requirement on the dash in front of the driver towards the A pillar. Have you registered the car and if so did they require a visual inspection? Contact www.rageexoticvehicles.com they appear to have the son of the original builder working for them.

I'm a bit late, but heres my 2 cents.
I remember that car.
It was a cool build.
Custom shops usually stamp the fender with vin #s.
Pass side, pop hood, look on the drain rail.
Usually above the tranny on the body, tag or etched.
Usually on a rear frame rail or crossmember on a truck, tagged or stamped
Most factory custom shops move the tag from the windshield area to the door or on the door jam.
If on the door, usually its also etched on the jam and covered with a clear tape like film.
The cars are rebuilt, but come with a factory title like the new cobras.

That car is a rebodied, retagged firebird.

Nissan had a hold on the market with the 300's at the time.