Axle nut size socket

kdrymer

I'm planning to replace the wheel hub/bearing on my 2003 Grand Am GT and wanted to confirm the correct size of the socket for the axle nut? Autozone told me its 36mm and I'm also seeing 36mm indicated online, however I noticed on the replacement hub (which includes a new axle nut) that the socket doesn't fit very tight to the nut, the socket I'm using (36mm) seems to be a little bigger than the nut. I went back to Autozone and even showed them how it didn't appear to be the right socket size but they reconfirmed that 36mm was correct. I tried a 35mm socket in the store with the new nut and it appeared to fit much better so I'm looking for confirmation which one to use. I haven't yet checked it on the old nut still on the vehicle. Thanks...

richardgriese

Texas
I don't know which size as I haven't yet replaced a hub on my GA, but if you can, get the axle socket set (loan or buy) I bought a cheap set from harbor freight and it's worked out pretty well using it on my w-bodies. It wasn't too expensive and I suppose you could return it after though that is a bit shadey.

kdrymer

This is a 6 point socket. I was just concerned about stripping the nut if the socket didn't have a tight fit around it. Thanks the for feedback!

Jmp6286

It's a 35mm on a 2003 Pontiac Grand am !! I can't believe all the sites that make it so confusing as to what size it is some said 32 some 34 some 36 and funny only a couple had the correct size Wich is 35mm...!!!

Jmp6286

I'm planning to replace the wheel hub/bearing on my 2003 Grand Am GT and wanted to confirm the correct size of the socket for the axle nut? Autozone told me its 36mm and I'm also seeing 36mm indicated online, however I noticed on the replacement hub (which includes a new axle nut) that the socket doesn't fit very tight to the nut, the socket I'm using (36mm) seems to be a little bigger than the nut. I went back to Autozone and even showed them how it didn't appear to be the right socket size but they reconfirmed that 36mm was correct. I tried a 35mm socket in the store with the new nut and it appeared to fit much better so I'm looking for confirmation which one to use. I haven't yet checked it on the old nut still on the vehicle. Thanks...
35 is correct