Bad replacement alternator messed up power window motor??

blehman99

Our 2006 Pontiac Torrent needed a new alternator, so I replaced it. When I started the car, the electrical system was acting weird - intermittent dash lights, headlights, and the power steering would go out when I turned a corner. Turns out the alternator was pushing approximately 16.3 volts to the battery. I took it to a local shop and they diagnosed that the alternator was bad and that it had fried the 2-year-old battery as well. They lowered the drivers side power window during their work and it would not go back up. The other three windows still went up and down with no issues. So, I replaced the alternator and battery and everything is working fine except for the drivers power window motor (the other three windows continue to work as normal). I ordered a new window motor and when I plugged it in with the car running, the window motor runs continuously. When I press the window switch "up", the window motor stops. When I press the window switch "down", the window motor does not respond and continues to run. The window motor does turn off when the car is off. I double checked the new window motor plugged into the driver's side rear door controls and it works correctly with that switch. So, I'm thinking there something goofed up in the wiring or switch. Has anyone come across anything like this or have any solutions I could try? Thanks in advance!!

blehman99

I had only plugged in the motor while holding it in my hand. I just tried installing it and screwed it to the regulator and then plugged it in. When I turned the key on, the window went all the way down and stopped. Pressing the window switch did nothing. I wonder if there is some sort of initialization sequence or something that needs to be done now?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I came across a couple of programming functions. Hold the switch in the down position for 10 seconds. Then try the up position without taking your finger off the button if it goes up continue holding the button for 10 seconds

G

G-173228

I tried the above procedure and it’s a no-go. I have a new switch being delivered today and if that doesn’t work, I’ll start looking at the wiring.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.