• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Blinkers getting slow

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Hi guys,

Simple question this time. I have noticed that my blinkers become slow if used with other appliances. For exemple, they blinks correctly if no other electrical accessories are on. But if the lights are on the blinkers become slow and everything that is turned on makes them slower. (heater, fan, etc..)

Any idea of where to look or what to change?

Thanks

NB: Battery is new

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Do the hazzards work the same? If not ......then change the flasher.

If yes , Check your ground ( clean and shinny) for the lights ( usually a small bolt on the fender with a black wire coming out of the light harness... trunk also shoud have one)

I take it that all the bulbs are working?

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Doug.

Hazard lights works the same way. I will check the ground but there is nothing really clean and shinny under that hood :) but I remender that when I've changed the battery, I've lost a that small bolt on the fender. I don't even remenber to have put it back :eek::eek:

Too cold and dark now but the answer.... tomorrow

Thanks

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
use a voltmeter to check the alternator output should be move than 13 volts.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would also suspect the Alt not putting out over 13V It may be enough to charge the battery but with aload it may be falling below 13 volts. And the flasher may not begetting enough current to operate properly.
Also check that you do not have a heavy duty Flasher unit installed. They were normally used when towing a trailer, the trailer lights extra load required the HD flasher. With no trailer lights the higherload isn't present and the HD flasher may not operate normally.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Hi Guys, finally, the small bolt was on and as shinny as it can be. But the battery terminals and connectors are complety covered with corrosion in only a month or so. I use the car almost every day, cold weather and snow with no start problem ('till now). I will test the alternator tomorrow. I know is OK because the engine continue to run with a connector out of the battery but I am not sure about the voltage. I will let you know. Thanks

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Sorry guys, it was very cold and didn't open the hood before today. Alternator is giving a 14,6volts.
I think that is correct. Cammerjeff is probably right with the heavy duty flasher. The car is equipped for towing. I will try to find a solution. Have a nice day