• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

blocker plates on exhaust crossover

i recently pulled off my intake manifold, and there were metal plates covering the crossover holes...what is the point of them? should i keep them on or not? having them blocked off is not allowing the choke stove to heat up all of the way causing my choke to never completely come off.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
A cooler intake charge produces more horsepower, thus someone blocked them to prevent the intake from getting too hot. Depending on where you live and how cold it gets can you compensate with the choke adjustment to cause it to be fully open when the engine is fully warmed up.

HighSchool66

Michigan
Is the heat riser needed?

I too am interested in the need for the crossover feature. I'm debating whether to block it off to prevent paint discoloration of the intake manifold, but I don't know how well the original carb will operate. Its' a 1966 2-barrel 326.

Can anybody out there report good driveablity after fully or partially disabling the heat riser circuit? In my case, I'll only be driving on nice Summer days.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
In warm weather it will not have a negative effect on engine performance.

Too Fast

Speedway IN
I would routinely block off my crossover passages. Like Mels says, cooler = denser, and for the weekend nice day cruiser, it will drive fine. Choke settings are adjustable.