Bogging in heat or while waiting in traffic

KBTfilms

VA
My 64 tends to bog and sounds like it is going to stall when it is in gear at a stop after I have been driving for a while. My guess is that the car is running lean because I removed the crappy mufflers that were on the car and I haven't messed with the air/fuel ratio yet. Am I probably correct? Any thoughts?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
It could be that, or it could be an ignition issue. Have you checked the Mechanical & Vacuum Advance systems? Just to make sure they are operating properly. If the timing is not advanced at idle (or to far advanced) you get rough idle issues as you are describing. That is the 1st place I would check.

Also does the car still have Points?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You always check ignition first as stated above, correct dwell angle, if you have points, and timing. Removing mufflers isn't going to have a noticeable effect on idle quality. If ignition checks out, adjust the idle mixture and speed screws.

Fred Engelhard

St louis
It’s sounds like vapor lock your carburetor is getting to hot. Are your fuel line is getting hot. Are most likely your fuel pump is getting ready to go out

KBTfilms

VA
I think I agree that the issue is vapor lock. Is an electric fuel pump the best solution? Im running with a 389 with two 4b webers, any suggestions for a specific fuel pump?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You are in VA not Texas, is this problem occurring on 90 degree days only?
Did you check the other suggestions concerning ignition?
Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws and idle speed screw when fully warmed up.

KBTfilms

VA
I believe the issue is vapor lock because my exhaust dumps out very close to the fuel line. I will adjust timing and check ignition as well but I don't think that is the main issue. (Bottom line, I need an actual heat wrapped exhaust) The metal tube to the left of the exhaust in the photo is the fuel line and the exhaust tip points in that direction.

Attachments

Fred Engelhard

St louis
Look for a vacuum leak . Check PCV valve make sure it’s working right. Same with the brake booster look for leaks. And on dual quad some will idle off both carb and some only on the front.. Fred

KBTfilms

VA
Update: The first thing I tested was fuel boiling due to the metal fuel lines. I went to advanced auto parts to see what insulation tape they had and they had a decent sized roll of gold insulation tape for around $40. I have heard good things about it and I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I wrapped a few layers of it around my fuel lines by the carbs and near the exhaust and it reduced my bogging issues almost completely, I was blown away by the quality of the tape. If you have steel fuel lines, I definitely recommend that gold insulation tape. Going to look into getting electric fans for the radiator and more insulation.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.