Camshaft needed

rbzbozzy

TN
My 1988 Sunbird has been down since November last year. Originally had a blown head gasket but as this was being repaired it was discovered that the camshaft was scored beyond use. I have been looking everywhere for the cam but no luck. Ebay and a few other sites have a replacement cam for my car but they are vin k naturally aspirated. I need the vin m for the 2.0 turbo engine.Anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to locate a camshaft I would greatly appreciate the help. 88 Sunbird GT Turbo convertible.

rbzbozzy

TN
My 1988 Sunbird has been down since November last year. Originally had a blown head gasket but as this was being repaired it was discovered that the camshaft was scored beyond use. I have been looking everywhere for the cam but no luck. Ebay and a few other sites have a replacement cam for my car but they are vin k naturally aspirated. I need the vin m for the 2.0 turbo engine.Anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to locate a camshaft I would greatly appreciate the help. 88 Sunbird GT Turbo convertible.
March 3, 2019. Update to my post. A gentleman in Griffin Ga that owns a turbo business there saw my post on J-body International and came to my assistance. He happened to have the exact camshaft that I needed along with the rockers and other parts. Hopefully, my bird will be back on the road in a couple days. I was about to give up finding a cam for the turbo 2.0 vin M. Still a few cams out there for the natural aspirated vin K but the turbo camshaft is extremely hard to locate.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Good for you, I never got an answer back from a overseas vendor in England, just make sure when you put in your cam it has the ball bearing inside it and you run part synthetic oil or full synthetic oil in the motor and it doesn't overheat.

Doug in P.R. 🆒

rbzbozzy

TN
Good for you, I never got an answer back from a overseas vendor in England, just make sure when you put in your cam it has the ball bearing inside it and you run part synthetic oil or full synthetic oil in the motor and it doesn't overheat.

Doug in P.R. 🆒
Yes . defiantly going with the synthetic oil. I not longer trust the temp gauge and I'm thing about going aftermarket for both the oil and temp gauges. However, the car is all original and in excellent shape and I hate the thought of making those changes but I sure don't want to run the risk of future overheating of the engine. Any suggestions?

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
I have a 120 AC volt switch on mine ( current Sunbird) with a l.e.d. light to let me know that the fan is turning, wired in the square circuit breaker I took from the fuse box for the automatic locks. 12 volt switches don't last.

I had a dual setup on my S10 in AZ using a Ford Taurus Fan , had those elcheapo thermostat controllers after my radiator cracked it's plastic tank and I warped the head. Never did like them, I guess most people use the expensive fan controllers or the Volvo ones from the junkyards.

I was thinking about using the Citation V6 fan control sending unit, but that is a ground controller which means when the temperature gets 170 - 180* it grounds the circuit because positive is live all the time. But you would have to put a piece of pipe in between one of radiator hoses and run a wire to ground because it's not grounded. Then a wire from the sensor to the electric fan ground .I used that setup on my 151 Monza race car and used as a backup in case I forgot to turn on the fan manually.

Doug in P.R. 🆒