Can not shift out of park when cold 03 Grand Am 2.2

Yuke

Yes strange problem that when the car sits overnight in sub freezing temps. when starting and trying to go somewhere car starts no problem but cannot get the gear selector out of park leave it warm up 5-10 min. and then sluggishly can get it out of park. Rest of day no problem. Previously there was never this problem until I recently had to pull center console gear selector and carpet out to remove trapped water that collected in back floor pans. Any thing to look for or how to fix this problem? I realize there is a switch on brake pedal and that acti0vates a selinoid to release gear selector but it does'nt make sense that when the car reaches about 150 deg. I can then force the button on gear selector in and sluggishly move out of park. This is a pita in this very cold weather.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
have you looked at the gear selector mechanism where it is attached to the transmission case. Is there dirt/grease there they may be retaining water and freezing? Is the shift cable not properly sealed anymore and water can get in and freeze?

Yuke

I will look. When very cold I cannot push the side button in on the shifter I think all that button does is push a white plastic rod down as soon as car gets up past 115 degrees temp. everthing starts moveing.

sporta

Nevada
I will look. When very cold I cannot push the side button in on the shifter I think all that button does is push a white plastic rod down as soon as car gets up past 115 degrees temp. everthing starts moveing.
Did you ever figure out what the root cause was? My 2004 Grand Am all of a sudden, when trying to shift from park, it refused to budge. I had to move the car so wife could take my Durango to work and was able to get it to move by popping the shift bezel off and pushing on the arm...need to get this fixed. I will keep digging on the site...

thanks in advance

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.