Car doesnt go into gears

pippo

Reaction score
1987 sunbird GT non turbo, when I depress the clutch pedal and shift into either reverse or 1st gear both gears grind. Could it be a bad clutch slave cylinder? Anyone ever had this happen before?

Thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Did you check the fluid level?
It could be the slave cylinder.

pippo

Reaction score
Fluid is topped off. Shop manual says travel distance for slave cylinder pin is 7/16" and I measured it and it is just that. Now Im thinking it has to be the clutch. But opinions are always appreciated before I start this project of a new clutch.

pippo

Reaction score
hey- 221,000 miles on original clutch not so bad, I figure.

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
It's toast, you got your money's worth, have fun changing it, about a day and quarter job if you do it yourself, because you have to support the motor with a bar or engine hoist ,because there are only 2 motor mounts and they only support the passenger side ( front of the engine) the trans mounts support the back. ( driver's side)

Doug in P.R.😃

pippo

Reaction score
Thanks Doug. Will start today. Now, The haynes manual says to disconnect the clutch master cylinder from firewall, but is that really necessary? Wouldnt it be fine just unbolting the slave from the case bracket and hang it aside with a wire?

pippo

Reaction score
It's toast, you got your money's worth, have fun changing it, about a day and quarter job if you do it yourself, because you have to support the motor with a bar or engine hoist ,because there are only 2 motor mounts and they only support the passenger side ( front of the engine) the trans mounts support the back. ( driver's side)

Doug in P.R.😃
OK, so I can support the engine with blocks of heavy wood, under oil pan, then unbolt the trans motor mounts?

pippo

Reaction score
gees, manual made no mention of draining the trans oil before popping out the cv axle. What a mess.....

pippo

Reaction score
What a job, no way a day and a half. I am progressing, slowly.......what fun, though.

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
What a job, no way a day and a half. I am progressing, slowly.......what fun, though.

That's all it took me to swap out the automatic, I used air tools, and worked in the dirt. ( Put plywood down ) Had to hurry so I had to have it ready for Monday morning for work, timing belt broke on the way back from the test drive, had to deal with that too. 👌

Doug in P.R.😎

pippo

Reaction score
Wow, Doug, you work fast. But can you help me now find a rear main engine seal? Cant find one anywhere. My usual source Rock Auto does not list one. Auto Zone has none.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, Doug, you work fast. But can you help me now find a rear main engine seal? Cant find one anywhere. My usual source Rock Auto does not list one. Auto Zone has none.
Look again at Rockauto, It shows Felpro BS40555 and Apex and others.

pippo

Reaction score
Thanks, Doug and Mel. Why couldnt I find those?? Will order asap. (just washed the transmission today, it was a mess. ).
Look again at Rockauto, It shows Felpro BS40555 and Apex and othe
What confused me is that the rear main seal is not listed with that name, rather the crankshaft seal is listed and I thought no, that is the FRONT seal, not the REAR seal. Anyway, thanks for helping. I will let yous know what happens!

pippo

Reaction score
Update- that felpro seal was too big, I have pressed seals before but this seemed a bit overspec. I am returning it and buying another brand hoping it will fit better. I distorted the plastic embedded on the rim, I tried hitting it gently with a 4" diameter can but didnt help.

maybe I will try hitting/pressing the new one with a 4" pvc coupling. Has anyone ever tried this? This is my big bottleneck now.

pippo

Reaction score
Doug, you sure that GM tool is made for my 87 sunbird? Just double checking as Im ready to order it and wait a week to continue the project.

pippo

Reaction score
Update: I got it in. My buddy who loaned me some seal pullers (needed for the 2 trans seals) had a kind of installer. It worked well. Kinda like a press with a 4" PVC coupling at the end. Anyway, now onto the clutch. Rock auto sent me the wrong clutch. Box ID was correct, but pieces inside were packed incorrectly at the factory, apparently. Gotta wait til they send a replacement.