• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Car still misfiring

pippo

Florida
People,

After replacing the ignition module recently car behaved strangely- when started (cold) as I run through the rpm's to accelerate, more noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear, when approaching 3000 to 4000 rpm car bucks/kicks severely, jerky like. I chased everything including ignition module checks (based on haynes manual), checked spark plug wires (water spray test, and resistivity), no stored codes.

BUT, after 2 miles or so, engine warmed up, problem goes away! I also checked Ohms on the coolant sensor, and it passed. Im gonna spend $10 and get a new one just in case, Ive tried everything. And $10 is nothing. What else can be related to engine performing better when warm? Any way to check the ECM?

Thanks!

pippo

Florida
Yes, Mel. I know it looks like the finger shouyld be pointed to that, but it checks out voltage wise for the tests. It has a lifetime warranty, and I was thinking that I have nothing to lose by bringing it back ton AZ and try a new one. 2 cant be both bad (assuming the one i have now IS bad).

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you checked for a vacuum leak, cold engine requires a richer mixture than a warm engine.
Just noticed you had a previous thread where you stated the problem was resolved.

pippo

Florida
Have you checked for a vacuum leak, cold engine requires a richer mixture than a warm engine.
Just noticed you had a previous thread where you stated the problem was resolved.
Sorry for delay in replying, Mel. Just came back from out of town. I dont think I have a vac leak since I just did a head gasket and all appears sealed/tight. Not sure what you meant by how I resolved the problem from the quote from one of my posts- You mean when I had ther problem of a bad ignition module? I got a new one, and car started, but I think I did not explain it correctly then- the car still jerks badly, BUT only when cold. Anyway, having been out of town for 10 days, and just ran the car today to work, not I have an intermitten "serv car soon" light, goes on/off. I will check for codes.

Think my O2 sensor is fouled up from running a car that burns oil?

pippo

Florida
Yup- just checked it and wow, a stored code showed code 22. Either TPS or Fuel cutoff relay circuit-open or shorted to ground. Now Im on to something. How do I check for the fuel cutoff relay circuit?

pippo

Florida
Swap relays? Only relay i could find is one just about where the vapor canister is, mounted to the front corner of the car, about 1 foot behind the actual headlight door. But wheres the 2nd one? No other relay along the inside passenger side fender that looks like it would swap out (theres a bigger one where the 2 massive bunch of wires come together near that area, but wouldnt swap out, Im sure).

Meanwhile, tested the TPS and voltage checks out- 0.65v closed throttle, 4.5+ open throtttle. To me it is still a good TPS, right?

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Relay for the fuel pump is near the back of the passenger strut tower, mine has 3 relays mounted there.

Your voltage looks good on you testing, try another tps to make sure it's a heat related problem and not wiring.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž

pippo

Florida
Ohh, I get it now- switch the relay on the vapor canister with the fuel pump relay near top of firewall, drivers side. Maybe it IS fuel related. Will give it a try.......

Last edited: