Car wobbling?

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE Sedan 4 Door 2.4L 4 Cylinders (Red)

Last Tuesday I went to a tire shop and bought two used tires for the front. A few days later, I realized that the front right tire was going flat and whenever I tried to put air in it, it didn't help at all. It was up enough to drive back to the tire shop and the second I pulled up, they saw that it was going flat. When they took off the tire, they found that it was leaking air around the rim part. So, then they put on another used tire for free and everything seemed to be fine.

Then I began to notice that while I'm driving, it'll sometimes feel like the car is wobbling and it feels like it's that same tire causing it. This doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. I checked the PSI of both front tires and they were both around 40 psi. My two back tires are 28 psi. Isn't 28 psi the standard for these tires (225/45/R18)?

1) What could be causing the wobbling?

2) I am also having an issue where the car wants to go left badly. I thought it was a psi issue, so I let some air out of the front right tire and that seemed to help a little bit but it's still trying to veer left while driving. What could be the cause?

3) There's another issue with the steering wheel where it'll shake violently when going over 50 mph. This seems to be related to the front right rotor. When I did my brakes, I found that the front right rotor was loose (the left side is solid). So, I messed with it a bit until it stopped shaking. When I drove my car, the steering wheel was rock solid. No shaking at all. When I had the tire shop put on those two front tires, the shaky steering wheel came back. What do you think?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I think you bought some really bad used tires and the shop didnt balance them correctly. The 40 psi reading is a clue that they dont seem to be too careful. Do you have any idea what the date code is on the tires? Anything over 10 years old is ready to be junked.

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
I think you bought some really bad used tires and the shop didnt balance them correctly. The 40 psi reading is a clue that they dont seem to be too careful. Do you have any idea what the date code is on the tires? Anything over 10 years old is ready to be junked.
Never checked but I will tomorrow.

Hotsuma9

South Carolina
The date codes for the two front tires are: 2515 and 3716. I let some air out of the tires. Now they're both at 28 psi.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.