Car wont start

pippo

Florida
People,

Car was running well after head gasket job. But was driving and felt a few bucks/kicks. Then car quit. Battery is good. Turns over briskly. Had it towed. Checked for codes, but no codes. Any idea what I should look for now?

Thanks.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Timing belt.

Mine did the same thing after I changed the transmission, belt looked good after the job but drove it on a test drive and teeth on the belt fell off even though I never touched it after the trans job.

Look there first, then wiring you touched when fixing the gasket.

Doug in P.R.😎

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Pontiac Sunbird: What degree must the timing belt pulleys be….

About 11:00 o'clock on the crank pulley, 12:00 o'clock on the cam pulley.

Make up or print out the a degree wheel as shown in the link above for your 10* degrees before top dead center( " 350 degrees " on the 360 degree wheel ) all Pontiac ohc's are the same...( 180 degrees goes on the bottom- oil pan mark)

Mine was easier cause it has both marks, unlike yours that only has the cam marking.

Maybe mark with a paint marker or notch your rear timing cover once you have it set right for an easier alignment next time you have to replace the timing belt.

Doug in P.R. 😎

Last edited:

pippo

Florida
Just did some testing- Im getting fuel into the TBI. But no spark at a testing plug (using a tester that lights up). All seems times at TDC. No codes in OBD 1. What would you suspect? Module? ECM? Coil? Going to start testing each one...........

pippo

Florida
Does our sunbird have a tachometer connected somewhere near the distributor? Shop manual mentions it but no where could I find a drawing/schematic, etc.

pippo

Florida
Thanks, Doug for the extra effort to post that diagram, but that is for the 92 sunbird. Mine is 1987, and not the same diagram as i have 4 wires coming off the ignition coil, not 3. I also have a white wire. No brown. Oh well, dont worrry too much. Picking up a new module soon. Maybe thats the culprit.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
No , that is for a TBI motor, everything after 91 is distributorless.

White is the tach wire ..off the coil.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

pippo

Florida
Wow, new module did it!! I got lucky, although, spent much time diagnosing. Still, I feel I got lucky in guessing the right part.

Thanks, everyone!

pippo

Florida
No , that is for a TBI motor, everything after 91 is distributorless.

White is the tach wire ..off the coil.

Doug in P.R.:cool:
OOps, sorry Doug, I didnt see your post before posting mine about how I get the engine started. But I thank you just the same for posting that diagram. You are correct- there is shown a white wire on t that diagram. I should have looked more carefully. Good schematic to keep for future. You help is much appreciated. I plan to be back here in future for more advice as my car breaks again!!