Changing fuel filter on my 2006 Torrent

koolwhizzer

Hi all. My name is Al. I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. I own a 2006 torrent that i purchased brand new. I currently have 69000 miles on it and never really done much maintance other than tires, brakes and oil changes. I like working on cars and now that the warranty is off my vehicle i have a few concerns i would like to take care of. I would like to know if i should consider changing out the fuel filter and if so where is it located and what is the proceedure for doing so? I will probably have to change out the timing belt as well but looks to me like i will have to remove the motor mounts, thats another story. Any imput would be apppriciated.
Al

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I do not believe there is a separate fuel filter on your vehicle, it is part of the fuel pump. The timing belt would be inside the engine if it doesnt have a timing chain. I believe you mean the accessory drive belt. If the belt is not cracked or frayed you should not have to change it.

koolwhizzer

Torrent Serpentine belt

Hi and thanks for the info. I did not mean the timing belt your right i meant the utility belt or serpentine belt. How much of a job is this. Looks like i have to remove the motor mount. Please advice. As far as the fuel filter i take it i do not have to change it since it is attached to the fuel pump in the tank, is that correct? Thanks in advance for you help. I am wondering what else i have to replace since i know have almost 70000 miles.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
if you dont have the owners manual you can find a copy for newer vehicles, same maintenance schedule, at www.pontiac.com under the owners tab. I do not believe the mount has to be removed, i recall a similar question where I believe only 1 bolt had to be removed. Try a search on this site. The filter is replaced only when the pump fails.

Dano1971

I know this is a old post but it was never answered properly. There is most definitely a separate fuel filter apart from the sock on the fuel pickup of the fuel pump, I’m just not sure where in the fuel line it’s located.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Please provide a GM part number or a gm website such as gmpartsdirect.com where they list a replacement filter.
Rockauto and NAPA list a filter but when you cross reference to the GM part number the Torrent is not listed as an application.