cold weather-slow start

tonnis

norway
So my European 2.3 Pontiac has a problem i still havent solved.

As Winter has come morning start-up is getting worse. Even after one minute car runs very nice.

Now two Things im aware of, is Fuelpump and filter can be getting bad.
Still, i still believe that computer reads information wrong.
I thought it would help to install a New CTS(cooling temp sensor) but it didnt.

Question is then: Is there another cooling sensor that makes cooling fan turn?

Fan comes on even Cold--

My temp-gauge doesnt work either.

Does my computer think that engine is hot when its Cold?

Whats the issue i havnt found?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
what year vehicle are you referring to?
do you have a check engine light on?
did you have the computer scanned before replacing the sensor?
what position are your A/C and temperature controls set for, if the A/C is on the the fans run, if the controls are set for defrost or defog the fans run.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
you need to have the code read. In this country it came with a V6. Whoever installed the A/C may not have wired the fans correctly.
If the fuel filter hasnt been changed in 30,000 miles change it.

jeffb

Not all that familiar with the 4 cylinder European trans sports, but GM generally tries to carry the technology as much as possible across their line of engines.
Fuel pump and radiator fan are usually run through relays, which the PCM turns on and off as required. If you have hard starting, perhaps it is not being energized. When you turn key on ( but do not start engine) you should hear
fuel pump come on for about 2 seconds to prime system, then turn off until the crankshaft sensor indicates the engine is turning, fuel pump then turned back on. Otherwise you have to wait for oil pressure to build in order for the contacts to close and a back up path for power to the fuel pump is established.-long crank period.
It is likely you have 2 coolant sensors- 1 would have just 1 wire on it, green in v6,s but may be different in your model-this is for the dash gauge. Second one will have 2 possibly 3 wires, and it is what sends engine temp info to the PCM.
A fault in that sensor, or wiring in that circuit, could make the pcm think the engine is very hot, causing the fan to come on, and not giving enough fuel to allow a normal start. Fan relay may also be arced closed, causing the fan to be on all the time-rare but possible
Good luck
Jeff