• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coolant leakage

73catalina

Hey guys, I'm driving a 73 Catalina with 400 engine.
I was having some coolant leakage from the timing chain cover to the inlet manifold ( there always was a little stream of coolant inbetween the cover and manifold). Last week I changed the gaskets from the cover, waterpump and I changed the little rubber donut. I was so happy because when i drove small distances the manifold was still dry. Just about yesterday (after a longer drive) I saw some coolant on my inlet manifold in that little ditch like place just about an inch behind the timing chain cover. I saw a drizzle of coolant coming from the carburetor side instead of the timing chain cover side. Thankgod.
My guess is that the coolant is slowly leaking out of my inlet manifold (near the carburetor) towards the lowest place on the manifold (that little ditch like place behind the timing cover) have you guys ever heard or seen something like this and what is your guess?

The timing chain cover is 100% dry so that cant be the problem.

I hope that you guys can give me a hint or tip.

Greetz,
Michiel from the Netherlands

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you use any sealant on the bolts for the intake manifold near the thermostat housing and did you have the thermostat housing open?

73catalina

I didnt open the thermostat housing because I could release everything with the thermostat housing on.

I got all the bolts in with sealer so thats okay. I also had some sealant on the rubber donut (tip from a friend)

I added a photo, on the left you see the intake and in the middle the EGR pipe.
Between those 2 is the little gully where the coolant stands. I see some drips coming more from the carburetor side. Also when I try looking under the inlet pipes more to the carburetor side I can see something wet(just a bit) I recon its somehow "flowing" from there to the lowest point (which is that gully)

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER

ncgator8

Make certain that the thermostat housing gasket is dry and that there is no seepage from the hose. I had some seepage from the hose connection. After a thorough cleaning and wrenching down the clamp (nut driver, not screwdriver), the leak stopped.