Coolant leaking

tinae408

Reaction score
Hello -
I have a 1996 Bonneville SE. Recently I had a mechanic flush my radiator system. The same day I had this done, I notice coolant on the ground but was told it's old coolant that's dipping. I drove the car for a few days, it did not run hot but I kept noticing coolant on the driver side of the car on the ground. I never had this issue before the system was flushed. I went back to the mechanic today and he's telling me I need to replace the radiator because of a crack in the plastic. After doing some research, I found out the crack plastic on the radiator is called TANK, RADIATOR INLET. I found the replacement part on GM parts website but I do not know if this is something I should replace or replace the entire radiator.

I personal believe something went wrong when they flush the system and cause the plastic to crack. Has anyone ever replace this inlet? Is it worth just replacing inlet or should I do the entire radiator? The radiator works and has no rust. Not dealing with a mechanic doing DIY 9-13-2021 3-00-00 PM.jpg

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
These plastic tank radiators are famous for cracking with heat and age, replace it and forget about it.

Better now than later with more cracks or engine damage like what happened to my S10 I had.

Doug in P.R

tinae408

Reaction score
Thanks. But do you think I need to replace the entire radiator or just the plastic inlet?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks. But do you think I need to replace the entire radiator or just the plastic inlet?
The part comes with a gasket but we can only rely on you as to whether or not your radiator has other problems. Ask your mechanic.