• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Dire need of help! 1980 grand prix

Grand prix kid 1980

Hello all.. I have a 1980 grand prix lj. With the 4.3 265 v8. When i go out to initially start it it will fire up and stay running.. If i come back out say half an hour and try to start it again. I get continuous crank. I put a new carb ,cap rotor button , plugs and coil on it. Vacuum lines dont look to bad. Could it be an egr valve malfunctioning? I have no idea what it is and it is stressful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Grand prix kid 1980

No i havent checked it when it wouldnt start. I will do that tomorrow. And no i have not even thought about the ignition module. That would explain why it just randomly shuts off without warning. That's a good suggestion sir and i really appreciate that. Could be a life saver right there! I will keep you updated as i try that tomorrow!

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
It sounds like the choke may be sticking open, or you are not setting it correctly on the restarts. You probably already know this but just to cover the basic's of starting a car with a carb. If the engine is cold, press the gas pedal all the way to the floor once, then press it about 3/4 of the way dow 2 or 3 times. The ist press closes the automatic choke (if it is working properly) the 2 or 3 others pumps a little gas into the intake to richen up the mixture for starting.

What is the air temp when you try to start it? You may just need to adjust the choke a bit.