• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Distance reverse sensor

DLB

I accidentally damaged one of the sensors on my rear bumper. The sensors for other GM models are available for $10, but GM parts is charging $210.00 for my 2005 SV6. Has anyone tried to substitute one like this one? They look the same physically, yet without the mounting plastic, which I might be able to salvage from my bumper.

This is what is supposed to fit my van:

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have not seen anyone on this forum mention this. Is the part returnable in case it doesnt work?

DLB

melsg5,
Thanks for responding. I have since found that the actual sensor shown has a different shape and most likely will not match electronically. There is a cheaper one on Amazon that is recommended for the Uplander, but the GM model number is 89047102 instead of 89047103 on the GM parts site for my van. It could be that there is a color difference, but I would like to find out if they are interchangeable to save about $100. The thing I am also trying to avoid is the labor and time to remove the bumper cover, which I have not done before.

It seems unreasonably high cost for one sensor kit, but I might have to go with it anyhow. If it prevents one fender bender it would be worth it as I live in the city.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you considered looking for a used one at a salvage yard?

DLB

Have you considered looking for a used one at a salvage yard?
There is one in a local salvage yard, I have to pull it myself. Is there a guide online to show how to remove the bumper cover on the SV6/Uplander/Terrazo minivans?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I would just google rear bumper removal separately for each vehicle and also Montana