Door Hinge Repair

ReveredGTO

Detroit, MI
Our '72 GTO has a rattle in the driver's door I haven't been able to track down. Everything in the door is tight, no loose or stripped nuts, bolts or screws and the window mechanism is in very good condition. The only thing I can think of are the door hinges pins. The door doesn't sag, rub on the sill and closes great but when we're driving, the door rattles. Has anyone replaced the hinge pins on their GTO? There are several brands out there and I was hoping someone could suggest a good one or if there is something else happening that may be causing the rattle.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help
John

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
if you open the door at at an angle and lift the door up and down is there any movement of the pins?
Have you driven the car with the interior door panel removed?

ReveredGTO

Detroit, MI
I haven't tried driving with the door panel removed. That's a good idea. I have tried to lift the door when it's open and it doesn't lift at all. When I first heard the rattle I suspected the hinge pins but ruled them out after trying to lift the door and it didn't budge. Now after checking everything else I've run out of ideas. Last summer I taped a piece of rubber between the door and where the A-pillar meets the door jamb and the rattle stopped.
Sometimes if I press against the door while driving I have been able make the rattle stop.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Are you sure it's not the latch being tight enough?
Are you missing the door bumpers?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Something I have experienced it the Striker Pin plastic bushing wearing out and falling off, the original striker pins have this bushing it takes up the slack in the latch and is supposed to stop rattles.
I can't seem to quickly find a link to the OEM style here is an aftermarket style than seems to have a metal bushing. I don't know if they work the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Jamb-Striker-OE-type-Camaro-Chevelle-GTO-Cutlass-Corvette-Nova-Firebird-GS/151325564847?fits=Year:1972|Model:GTO&epid=16012780967&hash=item233bb4dfaf:g:uVwAAOSw6CJa~hAd

just something else to look at.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.