Door Latch Problems '68

Big68

Hey all - newbie, working on a '68 Ventura (Catalina) 4 dr. coupe that has sat for many many years and the driver side front door won't open. I've got the door card off so I can see into the mechanism and have tried moving stuff around manually but no luck. It seems the linkages are working but the actual latch is not budging. The pass side front door had been a problem too but eventually opened through just continuing to pull on it and work it up a bit; once open, it is fine now that my Dad lubed it up real well.

What I really need is to see a working one in a Pick N' Pull as I don't want to take the pass side apart; too much work putting it back again, and might break something. But there are no big Pontiacs of that era showing up in the online inventory in the yards in N.Cal. Are there other GM models that would have the same mechanisms/linkages? Thanks so much,

Big68

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
you could try looking at Impala's but no idea if it is the same. You could also try finding a copy of the 1968 Pontiac Fisher Body Manual.

ncgator8

Try Desert Valley Auto Parts, dvap.com in Arizona. They specialize in used parts. Maybe they can help you. Another idea, if you do not have a factory manual, spend a few bucks for one. You can buy a CD version on ebay for about $32.00.