Driver side door does not close completely

avasp96

Akron, OH
2006 Grand Prix Base
The door has a 2 step latch mechanism
When I shut the door it does not close completely. Only the first stage engages. The door loosely closes and have to push it closed. Basically it has an approximate half inch gap and the door can "wiggle"
I moved the striker plate around already, removed the door panel and checked the rods to make sure they are connected. The latch was changed about 6 months ago so it is new.
I can pull it shut but when I try to shut it as typical it will always stays partially open.
Before I get a new latch I was wondering if this is something very easy fix I am not thinking of.
I could not find any references from Google.
Let me know if you have any ideas.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The latch you installed about 6 months ago was a new part or used part?
If you push in on the latch with a screw driver does it move to the fully locked position?
You are sure there is nothing obstructing the closing of the door such as a detached weather strip under the door?

avasp96

Akron, OH
The latch was a new one, purchased from eBay, claimed to be OEM quality.
I can move the locking mechanism to a fully locked position with the screwdriver, I checked previously to make sure it moves freely.
I looked and can not find any obstruction between the door and the body that would prevent the complete closing of the door.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
only thing left is the striker plate is not in the proper location.
you carefully compared the old latch mechanism with the new one?