• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Drivers side rear noise

Razorboy

I have got a 69 lemans convertible with a noise on the driver side rear area that sounds like two pieces of metal slapping together. Like something is binding then snapping back. I only hear it when making a left turn. I’ve got drum brakes and have checked springs and shoes and all looks good with them. I’ve looked at the shocks and everything seems to be tight. I checked all the clamps in that area as well. I did measure the two rear fender wells and the driver side is sitting in an inch lower. Any ideas what this could be ? Thanks4216

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do you have a limited slip differential?
if you do, when is the last time you changed the fluid and added two bottles of the GM additive?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
The only other thing I can think of would be in the trunk, check the lower right portion of the trunk, there is a small extension area that I have seen things accumulate in, it could just be something rattling around in the trunk.

Or a loose exhaust system if it has a right side tail pipe. Other less common things it could be a broken rear spring, a binding lower or upper control arm.

Razorboy

I checked the rear fluid level; it was just under the fill plug. I gave it additive to level.
Still hearing the noise. Have checked the springs and shocks and they look good.
Any other ideas you on what could be causing it? I appreciate the input. Thanks

Razorboy

Is there a way to replace the gear oil other than removal of the cover? Didn’t see a drain plug.