• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Engine light.

14kingt

i Was checking out the fiero one day and found out there was no thermostat in the housing. I put one in and ever since then the engine light would click on after 3 mins of driving. And I also noticed it spewed a little coolant were the reservoir cap is. I’m confused about this any info would help.

14kingt

Can’t be a blown head gasket is happing at the front with the radiator. And the cooling fan for whatever reason only wants to turn on when the heat is on.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Water boils out the overflow when the pressure is too high in the cooling system, then its either a clogged radiator, blown head gaskets, cracked head or blockage in the cooling system. The cooling fan should come on at 180 - 195*.

Is the radiator cap new?

What is the engine light code? You just need a paper clip with the key on to check for codes ( info online for the procedure)

Most people pull out the thermostat because the the car is overheating.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
How long have you had this car?
What temperature thermostat did you install?
The fact that there was no thermostat indicates a prior owner was covering up an overheating problem rather than correcting it.
If you turn on the AC does the engine fan run?
Do you have a accurate temperature gauge and if so what does it read when the light comes on?

14kingt

Mine hasn’t been overheating. It usually reads 140. I just bought it two weeks ago. A old lady had this car and didn’t drive it much. The coolant problem actually is the reservoir I believe because it came off one stud and was on the cooling fan slightly. The radiator and cap are still original I believe. I haven’t ran AC yet and thermo stat is rated to 190 I think

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
140 is too low,
I would have gone with a 180 thermostat.
If the fan is prevented from turning the car will overheat.
The fan should come on when the AC is turned on.