• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Finding a four speed shifer

ggene

Lebanon,ME
I found this in a field in 2017 and have been working on it ever since Replaced both driver and passenger side floor pans,full trunk floor pan, and just got done with both quarter panels.
I don't really know how I want to build it. Originally it came with an automatic and somebody change it to a standard witch I don't mind(I like the fun of a four speed. And the Color was candel light cream I hate the color. Anyway I am going to try and keep it as close to original as I can new interior and such. How would you class this car. also I am wondering if any one would know where to find a four speed shifter that I wouldn't have to modify the the new consol I got for it.
Thanks for any info..

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not sure what you mean by class the car? Hurst still sells 4 speed shifters for your car. Good luck with it.

ggene

Lebanon,ME
Not sure what you mean by class the car? Hurst still sells 4 speed shifters for your car. Good luck with it.
I mean class as it would not be a 100% original, for instance I've got the 389 engine but it is a 1964 from another model pontiac and will have a different trany and rear end gears,most will be though.
Thanks for your reply.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
In theory it would effect the value of the car when you go to sell it. How much depends on the buyer and how concerned they are that it is not a matching numbers car. There were at least 4 different horsepower ratings in 1964, installing an engine, regardless of the original source, should match as closely as possible to what that 1964 GTO had from the factory.

ggene

Lebanon,ME
Sorry I should have entered the year I am building,it is a 1966 gto the engine I have is from a 64 catalina correct engine for the car but no year. I still have a lot to do yet. just trying to gather ideas and info that might help in the building. I did have a left over 66 in 67 , wish I still had it.:(