Firebird troubleshooting

Warbird1971

UT
I am looking at buying a 79' Firebird Formula. The car is at a fair price, but the reverse doesn't work and the owner said that the engine will only turn over half way either direction.

As far as the reverse goes I think that it's either the linkage or the gear itself is worn out.

But the engine I'm not so sure, it might be a stuck lifter. But that's just my guess.

So, anyone know what else might cause these issues? And how I'd go about fixing them?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You didnt state whether it is a automatic or manual. An actual gear does not wear out. Stating that reverse doesnt work on an automatic is a sign of transmission overhaul time. If a manual it could be linkage or it could require disassembly of the tail shaft.
The engine only turning a half turn by hand in either direction could be many things and requires engine disassembly starting with the valve covers to see what the valve train is doing while turning that half turn.
Before doing anything make sure it has the original engine to start with.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
if they are willing to sell it at a steep enough discount to cover a transmission and engine overhaul consider it, otherwise move on.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I agree that an Automatic Trans that will not go into reverse is 99% of the time a Complete overhaul. Seeing that a 301 Pontiac V8 is not worth much so I would consider it a core engine at this point and plan on replacing it with a 350 or 400.

So unless it is cheap enough to justify the $3-4000 you would probably need to pay someone to swap the drive trains, I would pass.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.