For Sale - Delco_Remy Starter for '60-'65 Pontiac

kmag1226

For sale is a Delco-Remy starter. It was rebuilt a few years ago, but never used. Delco number 1107781. Date code is 11/18/1963. Fits Pontiac's from 1960 to 1965. Payment through PayPal.

Asking $120.00 plus Shipping. 2020-12-27 11.56.56.jpg 2020-12-27 11.57.50.jpg 2020-12-27 12.01.10.jpg

Stretch

Hi,
I'm interested. It LOOKS like it will work in my 65 326. The numbers don't match, and that's my hesitation. Yours is 1107781 and I've got 1107679.
Any cross reference you have? looks like the bolt pattern is right. Do you have a pic of the bendix?
Thanks,

G

G-311519

I do have more pictures. I had this rebuilt to use on a Rambler, but discovered it was not the correct one. I searched the model number and it said it was for a Pontiac. I'm out of town right now, but I can email pictures and info when I get home Tuesday. My email is kmag1226@hotmail.com

kmag1226

Thanks for your interest. I looked into that part number, and I can't find anything that says it will fit the 326. Looks like it is for the larger V8's.

Stretch

I took it off and got it bench tested. Starter is fine, solenoid was fine. Still clicking at times, thinking about removing the shims. Any thoughts?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I took it off and got it bench tested. Starter is fine, solenoid was fine. Still clicking at times, thinking about removing the shims. Any thoughts?
What do shims have to do with clicking? The shims are to correctly space the bendix gear in relation to the ring gear.
Check your electrical connections and the state of charge of the battery.

Stretch

You checked both ends of the 2 cables?
It eventually engages if you repeatedly turn the key to start?
Yes, it does. Not near as often now after redo on all connections. But it does eventually engage. I don't want to continue to wear down the teeth.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yes, it does. Not near as often now after redo on all connections. But it does eventually engage. I don't want to continue to wear down the teeth.
Ok, not clear on the issue.
You said click which to me the bendix was not extending.
Now it sounds like you have a bendix extending but not correctly engaging.
With battery disconnected can you get the bendix to extend using a screw driver to pry it out and check the tooth clearance? A number 1 paper clip, .035, should fit at the top of a tooth of the bendix gear and the valley between teeth on the ring gear.

Last edited:
Yes, try removing a shil at a time.
Its helpful to have various size shims.
I would've done that already as shims play more of a role than people think.
I have had several issues with shims that people would say could never be the reason.
I always disliked shims. šŸ˜‚

Yes, try removing a shil at a time.
Its helpful to have various size shims.
I would've done that already as shims play more of a role than people think.
I have had several issues with shims that people would say could never be the reason.
I always disliked shims. šŸ˜‚
Shim bro not shil šŸ˜†
You throw a shilling in there and it'll double the car value though....food for thought šŸ™ˆ

Stretch

Yeah, so the shims are 1/4" each, seems large. I thought maybe this gap was keeping the bendix from throwing far enough. I know I had to try different size shims, much thinner, on a 74 GP I had. Thanks for the tips, I will try checking the clearance.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yeah, so the shims are 1/4" each, seems large. I thought maybe this gap was keeping the bendix from throwing far enough. I know I had to try different size shims, much thinner, on a 74 GP I had. Thanks for the tips, I will try checking the clearance.
Those are very thick shims, find thinner ones.