Found brake line leaking now.

mrbreezeet1

I am just trying to get all my parts together before I do the job.
As if I were to remove the brake lines and take them to the parts store then I will have no transportation.
l have a 2001 Grand Prix, just got it,
and somebody did a shoemaker job splicing a line in.
I have good brakes but there is a leak at both splices.
I just have to make sure my brake fluid remains full in the meantime.
I want to run the whole line eventually.
Does anyone know what the 2001 Grand Prix uses as far as the fitting sizes
At the under hood ABS unit, and at the brake hoses.
I had read in another group, they were 10 mm X 1.0 metric thread pitch.
However it seems like they're always has to be something I ran across a YouTube video where the follow was changing a line or showing you the where the lines go but he stated the line at the ABS unit under the hood, and the line at the rubber brake hose were different thread sizes on the fittings. (He was working on a 2004 Grand Prix. )
Did you know if this is the case on the 2001?
I know I did a complete brake line replacement on my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero and the fitting size at the ABS unit under the hood and the fitting size at the brake hoses were indeed the same size.
Does anyone know if the fitting sizes for the ABS unit and the brake hose junction on the 2001 Grand Prix are the same?
Have been searching a few hours already.
Thank you.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER

mrbreezeet1

Oh dear, I guess I'm going to have to look at it better.
Looking at this link......
It looks like it's six piece it looks like it must go to some type of distribution block or I don't know maybe a proportioning valve of some sort?
(Because it says six piece?)
See I know when I did the 2002 Alero, it went straight from the ABS module, straight to each wheel, well, the brake/flex hose.
but that was back when I had all my tools and somewhere to work in the driveway at least.
I can work here but it's middle of winter I'm in Ohio,
Oh boy,.......
I think I mentioned all my tools are crammed into a storage unit I can't even walk into it that's how crammed it is to get anything supposed to get some help from the neighbors, but they are kind of wishy-washy my,
I help them all the time you know how that goes loan them money give them things, but when I need help forget it
I'm a little bit handicapped I can't do things like I used to so I can't even get the car up in the air properly right now to even look at it and I don't want to start working unsafely which I'm afraid might happen.

The splice up front I may be able to just tighten the inverted flare fitting up to the coupler it looks to be the proper couplers,
(I'm assuming he double flared it I would hope)
There is room to tighten the front one.............but it's weird I don't have a good picture of it but the back coupler,
It looks like the fitting is too short for the coupler,
(Looks like he use some old used fitting, where he double flared the line going over)
with the result being the area where you put the wrench on the fitting is bottomed into the coupler, apparently before it has seated at the double flare,
So there is no room to tighten the fitting.
(Hope that makes sense?)
This thing's going to start nickel and dime-ing me.
when he told me a regular garage replaced the line I assume they did it correctly..... Never assume I guess.
Again it wouldn't be so bad if I had my tools and equipment.
Maybe once I get my title and tags straightened out I'll ride up and buy a pair of ramps. Then at least I can back it up on the ramps and get under there safely.
Maybe I can just rent a flaring tool from the parts store and if that fitting up front will tighten up okay .........(it's the new brake line side of the coupler that is leaking)
Anyways then I can cut the short old rusty used fitting he used and redoubled flare it and hopefully it will be okay I have to of course examine the rest of the lines.
(Thank God for dual Master cylinders)

Anyways,I'm still searching but when you came up with 10 mm by 1.0 thread pitch did that reference the brake hose, and the ABS module?
Thank you. I know this is long-winded.
You should be a moderator on here you seem like you're the only one that comes on here LOL. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

mrbreezeet1

Can you recommend a good double flaring tool I have one (again crammed in storage)
I was looking at some inexpensive ones on Amazon (~ $30.00)
but some of the reviews you know were good but some of them said it was junk and it broke and the I guess they call it the anvil or whatever the part that holds the line they said it would not hold the line securely and push through after two uses, or the dies broke in half.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I think you should first look into the cost of renting the tool.
The fitting size I found referenced the ABS unit.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would consider purchasing the entire line kit referenced earlier for $70 + shipping. I have used that companies products before and they fit very well. You could probably call and get only the line you need if the cost is to much,

A cheap double flaring tool will cost 1/2 the price of the 6 line kit, and probably leave yoy fustrated with the resaults