front brake rotor removal

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
yes the nut has to come off, dont know size
as long as the seal is not leaking surface rust should not be an issue

BlueVibe05

Actually, just to clarify: No. You do not need to remove 'star' nut in order to remove front rotor. After removing caliper ( and brake pads ) from rotor, you just need to carefully hit rotor with mallet (prefer rubber than steel ) several times to loosen and remove. The original rotor may look like a 'one-piece' unit because of rusted connection but can be separated/removed from hub.

Radioman

07 Vibe - 104k - I just tried to remove my front rotors. No luck at all. Rust around the center has got them really locked it!

They didn't need turned down anyway so I just replaced the pads. Next brake job I'll need heat to get them off, I guess. Once off I'll replace with new anyway.

I bought a complete rear brake shoe kit with springs from Rock Auto.. I removed the drums and seen at 104k, they don't need replaced, yet.. Looks like I'll get at least another 25k out of them so I stored the new kit away..

LOVE THE VIBE!

davidawg

pittsfield
Hey bud next time you try to remove rotors after everything is removed put lug nuts back on to protect threads and give some good taps with a heavy hammer near the studs on front of rotors.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.