Front Brakes

chief1600

Wisconsin
I'd like to complete the front drum to disc brake conversion on my wifes 1971 LeMans Sport Convertible but I want to source parts that are factory original - not some flimsy aftermarket thing. Where is the best most cost effective place to look for the conversion kit?

chief1600

Wisconsin
I hadn't checked Ames Performance but I will. Yes, I realize GM no longer manufactures the parts for this. I just want to make sure I get something that mirrors the factory part and isn't a flimsy after-market knock-off.

spectrumad

midwest
I have the same car and am considering the same upgrade. Let me know if you pull the trigger, what kit you choose and how things turn out. Good luck!

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I have had good luck using Scarebird conversion kits, his kits consist of brackets that bolt to your existing drum brake spindles, then use OEM rotors and calipers, in the case of 64-72 GM A-bodies like your 71 Lemans they use 1978-86 Chevy Monte Carlo Rotors that you buy seperately.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=67

Otherwise if you want to use all 69-71 GM A-Body brakes, you will also have to change the Spindles to Disc Brake Spindles.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.