Front seat

Hamhead

Does anyone know if the front seat from a 1966 2dr nova will work in a 1966 2dr tempest? I'm also looking at a seat out of a 1969 2dr chevelle.
Thanks.

Hamhead

Ok. The chevelle has same bolt pattern as tempest. So I guess it will work, I dont know about upholstering it so it matches my tempest interior. The nova has a different bolt pattern. I dont know if you can change the frame on it .

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
So you dont have the original seat?
Upholstery is available from Legendary and PUI

Hamhead

No. It came with a couple 67 gto seats. The car is a tempest so I'm trying to get it back to original.I have had no luck find a 66 tempest seat so far.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
All post 1961 Tempests are bench seat cars, after 61 you had to order a Lemans or GTO to get bucket seats.

I think you need to limit your search to 64-67 A-bodies, they did change the floor pans for the 68-72 cars so I am not sure they will bolt into the earlier cars without modification. I would not buy the 69 Chevelle seat without double checking that it will actually fit. Just FYI

Last edited by a moderator:

Hamhead

All post 1961 Tempests are bench seat cars, after 61 you had to order a Lemans or GTO to get bucket seats.

I think you need to limit your search to 64-67 A-bodies, they did change the floor pans for the 68-72 cars so I am not sure they will bolt into the earlier cars without modification. I would not buy the 69 Chevelle seat without double checking that it will actually fit. Just FYI
Thanks for the info. The chevelle seat is not too far from where I live. I plan on taking a look at it this weekend.

Hamhead

I got that 69 chevelle bench seat and it fits in my tempest perfect.🙂 He gave me the 3 point safety belts too and they bolted into my car as well! Does anyone know if the 3 point belts were standard in 1966?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The first year for mandatory belts was 68, they were options prior and they were not 3 point. Separate lap belt and shoulder belt.

Hamhead

Ok thanks. Then my car may or may not have had them from the factory. Interesting.