• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Front steering rack replacement.

Xak85

Does anyone know if a manual steering rack out of a chevette will fit the fiero? I am in need of a new steering rack in an 1987 2m4 that I am restoring and a refurbished one is around 300$ on eBay. I know the front suspension in them was used from a chevette and a steering rack for a chevette is only about 100$. If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this please let me know thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If you google the question you will find it is not a direct bolt in and requires fabrication.

Xak85

Thank you. I tried google and was pretty unsuccessful with finding actual answers on the topic I found mostly people doing power steering conversions.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
From what i saw in those conversions the issues related to the mounting of the rack and the length of the tie rods. You could try contacting www.fierostore.com . Also contact an organization called Niagara Fieros.

Niagara Fieros

SUSTAINING MEMBER
The mounting is different and the track widths are different...not a recommended interchange. Here's your specs : the front track widths are - 51.2" Chevette, 58.7" Citation and 59.7" Fiero.
You may also consider buying a used one if yours is shot. Depending on what State your in, I could put your in touch with the local club for a source. Most States have a Fiero Club. If you need any additional info, feel free to ask. Best of luck.