• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

fuel filler neck 87 Bonneville

kmanning

Can someone suggest tips on removing fuel filler neck, please? I have unscrewed it at the cap area and unclamped it, but I cannot get it out of the wheel well. Have removed the tire and the removable panel from the wheel well.

I am trying to siphon the gas out of the fuel tank without running it through the fuel pump strainer. Cannot get a siphon hose all the way in by starting at the fuel cap. So am trying to access through the filler hose, but cannot get it to budge off of the tank or the filler neck. So tried to remove filler neck to pull it off the filler hose, but can't get the top of the filler neck out of the wheel well.

Am trying to not resort to cutting the filler hose to bits because a new one costs $40. But maybe that is my best option?

Secondly, if I ever get the tank drained, what additive do you recommend to put in with the fresh gas? I think the gas may be a couple of years old, and I want to get as much out as possible, then add fresh gas and gumout or heet or something to reduce gunk problems. Have a new fuel filter ready to go on if I ever get the gas replaced.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
have you tried attaching the siphon hose to a long piece of mechanics wire, similar to a coat hanger wire, to force it down the filler pipe?

kmanning

Thanks I did not know about this. I will try. I tried using a long length of fuel-type hose (small diameter) to get some more rigidity, but could not make any better progress with that.