fuel gauge bouncing and engine stuttering and dies?

I have a 2001 Pontiac Montana, 3. somthing engine. It recently started to die on me like its running out of gas. The gas gauge bounces around and the digital miles left thing bounces too. But ill be driving and then itll start to stutter, and then die like its out of gas even though I just put 20 bucks in it. Just trying to figure out if its the sensor, level sensor, pressure regulator, pump or somthing else. Thank you in advance for all your help.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Assuming you dont have a check engine light on? You may have multiple issues which may or may not be related. It sounds electrical in nature, usuallly if the fuel pump or pressure regulator have an issue the gas gauge and miles left are not effected. I would look for a bad electrical connection perhaps at the fuel pump. You can also try a fuel pressure test and make sure you have changed your fuel filter at the recommended mileage.

Steelcity

Pittsburgh,Pa
Sounds like u have an electrical issue ? What u describe about it wanting to stall and shudder and shake sounds like fuel delivery problem like clogged fuel filter or pump going bad but never heard of the gauge bouncing around like that. Good luck and keep us posted .