• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Pontiac owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Fuel pressure issues

Jkreutz

Reaction score
Have a 2001 Pontiac grand am gt with the 3.4. After replacing fuel pump and filter with new parts, I'm getting 42-43 psi of fuel pressure at idle. I've ran a snap on scanner on it as well as drop down tests on the injectors. Everything checked out and no misfires. The 02 sensor upstream jumps around alot, from Mid 100's to mid 800's. Would that be an issue? Running regular gas ( 87 octane), no aftermarket parts, and car only has 130k on it. I'm stumped and could use some help as my other vehicle is a diesel and it's over 5 bucks a gallon currently lol.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
What brand pump did you use, it could be defective.
Do you have a check engine light on?

Jkreutz

Reaction score
That's low, should be 52 - 59 psi with key off. Check the regulator to see if the vacuum hose is wet.

Doug in P.R.😎
Vacuum hose isn't wet at all, nor do I smell fuel at the Vacuum port.

Jkreutz

Reaction score
What brand pump did you use, it could be defective.
Do you have a check engine light on?
Not exactly sure as it came with the car when I bought the car. It was new in box still .check engine light did come on, cylinder misfire but when I scanned it, no cylinders were misfiring.

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Not exactly sure as it came with the car when I bought the car.

Get another one ( Delphi or other name brand) and see if that helps...( Lifetime Warranty)

Pumps have been known to be defective right out of the box....

Also the hose that attaches the pump to the sending unit could have a crack in it resulting in low fuel pressure. ( Happened to me on my Silverado)

Doug in P.R.😎

Jkreutz

Reaction score
Get another one ( Delphi or other name brand) and see if that helps...( Lifetime Warranty)

Pumps have been known to be defective right out of the box....

Also the hose that attaches the pump to the sending unit could have a crack in it resulting in low fuel pressure. ( Happened to me on my Silverado)

Doug in P.R.😎
Ok, will have to try that
Thank you

Jkreutz

Reaction score
Ok, will have to try that
Thank you
It was working fine, then had injector issues, got them fixed and now pump issues.

Jkreutz

Reaction score
Napa, Wix, Duralast.....

Doug in P.R.😎
Ok, will get one of those. Before dropping tank again I'll try line clean out and filter change. Ty

Jkreutz

Reaction score
Ok, will get one of those. Before dropping tank again I'll try line clean out and filter change. Ty
Has a wix fuel filter now, gained 1 or 2 psi. What are thoughts on a car quest premium fuel pump?