Fuel Sender Unit for a 1970 Catalina

glm1983leo

Please HELP! I need to find the correct fuel sender unit for a 1970 Catalina. The car has the 400 engine. I looked and can find stuff for other years but nothing I have found is compatible with the 1970? Thanks in advance

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you opened the old one to see if the contacts can be cleaned? Other option is to send it out for a rebuild.

glm1983leo

Have you opened the old one to see if the contacts can be cleaned? Other option is to send it out for a rebuild.
Hey again, I just bought the car from my step-father. He owns an auto shop in Prescott AZ. It runs and drives but he said it needs a new fuels sender unit. He said he took it off before and tried to clean it up but no luck. I was really hoping some Pontiac savant would just randomly know this info because I have not been able to find the exact part to order anywhere. Thanks for your help.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
It appears to be unique for 1970 your only option is rebuild.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
That device is intended to match a mismatched gauge and fuel sender unit.
You first have to pull your sender and using an ohmeter determine if you get any reading at all.
If no reading you then have to somehow find a working unit that happens to fit your tank.
You then have to buy that unit in addition to the device and calibrate the sender.
Seems like just sending the orignal one out for repair is cheaper and less time intensive.
That is the usual process people do when working on an older car.

glm1983leo

That device is intended to match a mismatched gauge and fuel sender unit.
You first have to pull your sender and using an ohmeter determine if you get any reading at all.
If no reading you then have to somehow find a working unit that happens to fit your tank.
You then have to buy that unit in addition to the device and calibrate the sender.
Seems like just sending the orignal one out for repair is cheaper and less time intensive.
That is the usual process people do when working on an older car.
Wow, yeah I think if I cant find one online I'll just send the old one out for repair. Thanks man

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Here's a place to start, but test it before sending it out to make sure you dont have a problem somewhere else.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
The problem with Full Size Pontiac fuel Senders it the fuel tank they used from around 1963 to 1972 are baffled tanks. Earlier and later years are just hollow tanks. The other divisions do not seem to have used baffled tanks.

Because of the baffled tank they need a canister style fuel sender, her is the one from my 71 Catalina.
Cat Fuel Sender.JPG

Not the standard "float" type the smaller cars or the other divisions used like this

1578956977620.png
I had to have mine rebuilt by a shop about an hour away from me, as I could not find a source for a replacement.

glm1983leo

Here's a place to start, but test it before sending it out to make sure you dont have a problem somewhere else.
Awesome. Thanks for the info man!

glm1983leo

The problem with Full Size Pontiac fuel Senders it the fuel tank they used from around 1963 to 1972 are baffled tanks. Earlier and later years are just hollow tanks. The other divisions do not seem to have used baffled tanks.

Because of the baffled tank they need a canister style fuel sender, her is the one from my 71 Catalina.
View attachment 4610

Not the standard "float" type the smaller cars or the other divisions used like this

View attachment 4611
I had to have mine rebuilt by a shop about an hour away from me, as I could not find a source for a replacement.
This is very helpful! Thank you. The pics will save me a LOT of time. Much appreciated.