G3 Trouble

shaybe

california
I have a 09 g3 the coolant hose blew. the car over heated with no cel or hi temp on gauge. engine toast. I replaced engine with used one. started engine and it ran for a few seconds and died. it did this about 15 times and seemed to start running better, I though maybe cam actuators just needed to get oil to them. then the starter stopped working and the engine main relay and fuel pump relay started buzzing. checked starter relay and found I could jump relay and starter works. I think I am getting a poor ground to all three relays (possible engine ECM ?) any ideas. I am stuck out in the desert by the salton sea and do not have another car. am a retired master tech. any help would be great, also do not have wiring diagrams. I am flying blind on this one.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
no loose battery connections?
you played around with the shifter to see if it is the neutral safety switch?
you have no way of pulling codes?

shaybe

california
much has been figured out so far. I will explain what I have found so far. After my first cry for help I disconnected the battery and shorted positive and negative terminals for about an hour. (because as far as I can figure all those relays are controlled by the ECM) connected battery and all relays started to function properly. fuel pump working engine relay not buzzing and starter is working. (ever heard of that one) But it still started and died. replaced all sensors ,cams sensors,actuation sensors,throttle body, maf, and coil pack. did not change a thing. it continued to start and die after 3-6 seconds with no codes. (I do have a reader) I was getting ready to swap out intake manifold and injectors in case there was a leak I could not find. but I just unplugged the crank sensor (I figured it would not start) but it started and ran good. I don't have a tach but engine runs. do you know what will happen if I run it without the crank sensor, can the ECM get RPM from cam sensors ?. that sensor is extremely difficult to replace. and do you know if the crank sensor pics up the signal on the same part of the crank on all ecotec engines. I do not know where that used engine came from. al I know is my original engine was WHB, I don't know if the new one is. I am sorry about being long winded, just trying to be informative of my situation.

shaybe

california
I just sent you a post of what I have done but it says my post will not be visible until a moderator approves it ? I have never used a forum before am I posting it right ?

shaybe

california
they must have deleted my post. long story short. all relay and starter issues resolved. now back to starts and dies. unplugged crank sensor and started. ran for about 10 min good. went to resart and same problem. help please.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
you unplugged the crank sensor and it runs and you dont have any codes? That doesnt make much sense to me.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.