G6 convertible no start issue

newtomeg6

New member
I have a 2007 g6 convertible. About a month ago I was driving and the car shut off. Radio was still on and I didn't notice it was off until I went to move and it didn't go. It wouldn't start initially but after a few tries I was able to peddle it home the 1/4 mile. Now when I go to start the car there is an arch between the terminal and the battery that is sparking. It clicks once and sparks and nothing else. Where should I start looking? I have no idea where to begin. There is also melted metal at the terminal so I'm thinking there is a short somewhere. The terminal still has contact.
 

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
18,912
37
48
a picture of the terminal you are referring to would help. Did you check for loose battery connections?
 

newtomeg6

New member
a picture of the terminal you are referring to would help. Did you check for loose battery connections?
I will take pictures tonight. The connectors to the battery is what I'm referring to. One of them appears to have melted a little as it looks like there is melted lead (its probably not lead but this is the best deacription I can give) drops underneath. I think, iirc, this is the same connector that appears to be arching a spark wjen the key is turned. I work a weird shift so I won't be able to get pictures until tomorrow but I finally have time to fix it so I'll post some tomorrow and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you for your help.

Also sorry if I wasn't clear. It looks like I mistakenly used terminal loosely to describe the actual battery connectors and the terminals on the battery. I'll try to be more clear. Sorry about that
 
Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
18,912
37
48
again check if the battery connections are tight using the correct size wrench. There should not be any bare metal near the positive/red terminal of the battery other than the actual cable connection.
______________________________
 

newtomeg6

New member
I will try my best to explain the pictures

https://imgur.com/a/UYoSJCx

the first picture is the engine bay

second one is the top of the battery, the red connector is the one in question and the one that appears to be damaged? honestly im not sure what its supposed to look like but it doesnt look right. my only car experience is on a jeep cherokee but with some help im willing to try and help my dad fix this one

in the 3rd picture i tried to pull back the red cover to see what was going on and it just appears to be wires that come up to the terminal/connector of the battery

the final picture shows the beaded "lead" that was found under the battery

when we turn the key the red one sparks and all we hear is one click.

we assumed there was a short somewhere because for metal to melt you need a lot of amperage...is my understanding anyways...

if you have any ideas please let me know.

thank you :)

edit: sorry i didnt think the pictures uploaded to the website using the uploader so the ones you see below are out of order and not correctly orientated.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
18,912
37
48
unscrew the bolt on the black connection from the battery first and place it away from the battery. Then unscrew the bolt on the red connection and examine it closely to see if the wires are no longer firmly attached to the connector. You may have had a loose bolt that overheated and melted the wire connection.
 
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.
Top