Gas Tank

JMW

Reaction score
I have a question for the group,,, took a little drive the other day in my '67. Upon returning, parked in the garage I kept hearing an occasional Thump Thump from the rear of the car. Sounded like expanding and contracting metal. I removed the gas cap(non vented) and discovered a vacuum had built up in the tank. The filler neck has a vent hose that goes around and up to the top of the tank. Where does this hose go and how would I correct this vacuum? The car ran great, it did not affect performance, only discovered it from the thumping

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a question for the group,,, took a little drive the other day in my '67. Upon returning, parked in the garage I kept hearing an occasional Thump Thump from the rear of the car. Sounded like expanding and contracting metal. I removed the gas cap(non vented) and discovered a vacuum had built up in the tank. The filler neck has a vent hose that goes around and up to the top of the tank. Where does this hose go and how would I correct this vacuum? The car ran great, it did not affect performance, only discovered it from the thumping
The hose goes up to a U shaped pipe which means either the hose or the pipe and any hose connected to the other end of the pipe could be blocked. See the picture in the link

JMW

Reaction score
The hose goes up to a U shaped pipe which means either the hose or the pipe and any hose connected to the other end of the pipe could be blocked. See the picture in the link
Thank you!!