• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

gauge wiring

wdl182

Happy New Year !!
I recently purchased a factory stock rally gauge cluster for my 64 Bonney
The oil pressure and water temp have 2 leads on the back, but are not marked as which is positive/sender and which is Ground. Does anyone know what lead is what !!

Thanks, Wayne IMG_1802.jpg

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the presence of an insulating washer gives no clue as to which connection is positive versus negative?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I cant help with what side is Positive or negative, but if you are converting from idiot lights and still using the cars original wiring harness, you have to modify it to eliminate the idiot light test mode on start up, otherwise you will peg out your gauges every time you start the car. After a few dozen times you gauges will be inaccurate at best, and usually damage will follow shortly after.
I did that when I was a teenager to my GTO, usually it only involves disconnecting 1 wire and taping it off, but you will need a wiring diagram to figure out what wire.