Gauges work intermittently

Phil Number 3

Oklahoma
My speedometer, engine temp gauge, oil pressure and alt light quit one day. I searched and found a relay that I thought was the problem. I exchanged it and everything worked ... for a while.
Later I discovered that when cold, everything works but when the cabin is warm, especially the foot are, the gauges quit then when cold, start working again.

Anyone have a clue ? I've checked connections and fuses and everything looks fine so I am at a loss. I did find a small box behind the dash with a wheel adjustment but I have NO idea what it is or does.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would check the grounds 1st, a bad ground can cause all kinds of strange issues.

But it could also be the board, or a loose connection.

92 Sunbird LE

The instrument cluster snaps into a electrical port with all the metal fingers exposed, they can get coroaded after time and make no good connection. The cluster will have to come out to check this, have fun with all the screws and plastic trim you have to remove to take it out....

Doug in P.R.:)

92 Sunbird LE

The instrument cluster snaps into a electrical port with all the metal fingers exposed, they can get coroaded after time and make no good connection. The cluster will have to come out to check this, have fun with all the screws and plastic trim you have to move to take it out....

pippo

Florida
The instrument cluster snaps into a electrical port with all the metal fingers exposed, they can get coroaded after time and make no good connection. The cluster will have to come out to check this, have fun with all the screws and plastic trim you have to move to take it out....

Right, Doug, but I have done this many times and it is not so difficult. tedious a bit, but overall easy. I had to replace tiny plastic sprocket wheels which were broken , driving the odometer.

Anyway, easy project.

Phil Number 3

Oklahoma
Thanks for the updates. I'm in the middle of removing it all. Finding all of the screws seems to be the challenge

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.