• If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense...

Gauges work intermittently

Phil Number 3

Oklahoma
My speedometer, engine temp gauge, oil pressure and alt light quit one day. I searched and found a relay that I thought was the problem. I exchanged it and everything worked ... for a while.
Later I discovered that when cold, everything works but when the cabin is warm, especially the foot are, the gauges quit then when cold, start working again.

Anyone have a clue ? I've checked connections and fuses and everything looks fine so I am at a loss. I did find a small box behind the dash with a wheel adjustment but I have NO idea what it is or does.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would check the grounds 1st, a bad ground can cause all kinds of strange issues.

But it could also be the board, or a loose connection.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
The instrument cluster snaps into a electrical port with all the metal fingers exposed, they can get coroaded after time and make no good connection. The cluster will have to come out to check this, have fun with all the screws and plastic trim you have to remove to take it out....

Doug in P.R.:)

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
The instrument cluster snaps into a electrical port with all the metal fingers exposed, they can get coroaded after time and make no good connection. The cluster will have to come out to check this, have fun with all the screws and plastic trim you have to move to take it out....

pippo

Florida
The instrument cluster snaps into a electrical port with all the metal fingers exposed, they can get coroaded after time and make no good connection. The cluster will have to come out to check this, have fun with all the screws and plastic trim you have to move to take it out....

Right, Doug, but I have done this many times and it is not so difficult. tedious a bit, but overall easy. I had to replace tiny plastic sprocket wheels which were broken , driving the odometer.

Anyway, easy project.

Phil Number 3

Oklahoma
Thanks for the updates. I'm in the middle of removing it all. Finding all of the screws seems to be the challenge

Phil Number 3

Oklahoma
A late update. I removed the gauge cluster, cleaned the contacts and tested continuity on the gauge circuit "board" (it's a thick plastic sheet embossed with electric conduits.)
I've checked all the grounds I can find (dang sure a lot of ground connections), unplugged and checked every connection including those on the computer itself which I had replaced in 1999. Studying the wiring layout in my repair manual, it seems the problem circuit is tied to wire #39 but that's not solid evidence. In other words, I've been working on this problem but have made no progress.
I'm just missing something somewhere...

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Maybe try to run a fused new wire like I had to for my lighter and blower motor. Had the same problem as you with those items, they ended up working again so I left my rewire on in case it happened again.

These cars a famous for gremlin wiring problems.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž