General motor question......

Looking to potentially rebuild my 400 in my Grandville. I am wondering what's the going rate to have that done? Never had a motor rebuilt before. I'm not looking to do anything to crazy to it. Just want it healthy and dependable. Or any tips one what I can do to it? I believe right now my carb needs to be rebuilt. Cars bogs out sometimes when I apply my foot to the pedal. Has to warm up for like 20 mins otherwise it just dies every time I put it in drive. I just know once you fix one thing another will break, so thinking maybe this time around I attack the whole motor head on and avoid future issues. Any help is appreciated, looking to be a sponge and soak up all the info. lol

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not sure why you go for a full rebuild for a bog.
Is the engine burning oil?
Is the engine making any knocking noises?
When is the last time you did a full tune up, points, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, filters, etc.?

G

G-620972

Not sure why you go for a full rebuild for a bog.
Is the engine burning oil?
Is the engine making any knocking noises?
When is the last time you did a full tune up, points, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, filters, etc.?

I know it doesn’t need it, but I wouldn’t mind freshening up the motor so I KNOW it’s gonna be good for awhile. Also I’m looking for a healthy motor cause that little 175 hp doesn’t do much. Not looking for a race car but something a little stronger would be nice. I did full tune up on it already, that’s why I’m leading towards a carb.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You did the tuneup or a shop?
Did either you or the shop adjust the idle speed and mixture screws?
What carburetor is currently on the car, 2bbl or 4bbl?
How many miles on the engine?

G

G-47072

You did the tuneup or a shop?
Did either you or the shop adjust the idle speed and mixture screws?
What carburetor is currently on the car, 2bbl or 4bbl?
How many miles on the engine?

It was done on the side by a mechanic I’ve used for all my other vehicles. I didn’t nor did he, it is the original Rochester 4bbl on the car. The car has 88k miles on it. I noticed the slight hesitation when I bought the car, assuming it needed a tune up cause he said it was sitting for awhile. But after the tune up, it still does it. On cooler days tho, doesn’t seem like it does it at all.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER

Dan75

Just for reference purposes and the time involved doing a rebuild, have you researched a long block reman?? Although I do agree with melsg5 and his reply, if you’re convinced a rebuild is the way you want to go, take a look at a long block reman; there’s plenty of them out there, a lot less hassle, and you get 3-5 warranty.... just a thought.....

I usually charge $1500 for a long block rebuild due to its age.
Never ever use ethanol in any car.
Ethanol eats rubber and absorbs water.
Never use dexcool coolant.

There are many mods to be done to pump out 300hp easily for that motor.
Replace the intake & carb, let it breathe.
Then 3" exhaust so it can exhale.
Swap out the points for an HEI system.
You can play around with the crank & connecting rods.
I have only built a couple pontiac motors but I have seen 500 hp come out of them easily.