Have you ever had a coil pack smoke, melt, and crack? Why, and what did you do?

DazzleDaz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am glad to be here and I have been enjoying reading everyone's threads so I decided to finally ask a question for myself because I have been chasing my tail through Forums and Youtube and just going in circles I am hoping someone may have experienced anything like this and could share what their final results were.
Here it goes.
1. The first symptom is starting the car starting and dying right away with a little chug or sluggish feeling like it was gasping for fuel when it would die.
2. If I tap the gas even just a tad it would start, stay running, and run top notch all day unless I shut it off of course. By having to hit the gas my remote start won't work and dash will say remote start disabled.
3. Every so often I would feel an erratic shifting in the transmission as well.
4. First code I pulled was P0455. I had a friend throw in some spark plugs and wires while I was busy. Then the code changed to a P0446 so I started chasing down the Evap system.
5. I changed the Evap Purge under the hood and it started (even remote start) every time the rest of the day. I thought I was done. The next morning the symptoms were right back where I started.
6. I then ordered the Evap Canister (by the gas tank) and a new gas cap. While waiting for these to show up in the mail, my wife took our kids to school just fine in the morning, but when I left to pick them up it was now cranking but no start instead of it starting but dying right away. And now when I turn the key to start it the car also wants to keep cranking by its self longer than I have the key turned.
7 I replaced the fuel pump relay even though it was still good it looked burnt.
8. I tried starting it so many times the battery went low so I hooked up jumper cables to my truck. While I was sitting there connected to the cable I had the key turned on so I can read the dash and POOF!!!! I saw smoke from the motor and quickly disconnected everything and then noticed coil pack #4 had melted and had a great big crack in it. Now I am waiting for a new Ignition Control Module and Coil Packs to show up in the mail. In the meantime, I decided to reach out to hear your opinion or past experience.

Attachments

• 20220104_192757.jpg
    20220104_192757.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220104_140546.jpg
    20220104_140546.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 3

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
After you connected the cables, I assume there is no chance they were reversed, why didnt you try starting it?
Not sure what you expected to see on dash with dead battery?
Simple age of the coil combined with a heavy output from the truck could be the cause.

G

G-731029

After you connected the cables, I assume there is no chance they were reversed, why didnt you try starting it?
Simple age of the coil combined with a heavy output from the truck could be the cause.
I was hoping to hear just simple aged coil packs. I was wondering if putting new plugs and wires to older coil packs was just a rookie mistake on my end.
You asked why I was reading my dash... after my first attempt of trying to crank it over under some jumper cables, the dash was going back and forth from "battery charge failure" and "battery saver mode" I guess I should have mentioned as to WHY I was sitting there reading the dash, is only because I had never seen this blink before and simply caught my attention in the moment and I was waiting to see if the digital volt reading was going to change at all because I had also tried jumping it with my Jumper Pack first before trying it with my truck. Jumper packs go dead really fast as to jumping it can send some volts over. I tested the battery yesterday with my multimeter and it seems to be holding a charge.
My question today is, once I put the new Ignition Module and Coil Packs in, any chance that could have been the culprit all along or do you think I'll still be back to chasing down an Evap issue. I guess we will see, I just wanted hear your opinion

DazzleDaz

Reaction score
Hi, I tried responding off of my cell phone earlier but it looks like it may not have been posted but thank you for the responses. But, the reason I was reading the dash was because it was blinking back and forth saying "battery charge failure" and "battery saver mode" so that had caught my attention for a moment. The battery was not completely dead either, I had just run it low from how many times throwing a crank at it with my portable jumper pack before hooking it up to jumpers.
I was happy to read someone confirms my idea that it was possibly just time for those coils to be replaced considering they were getting a brand new flow spark from the plugs and wires. I am curious to see if the Module and Coils are going to end up being the culprit all along. I'll make sure to finish this thread in case future readers are having the same problem.
Oh, did I mention in my first post that when I tried to start it, the car seemed to keep trying to crank by itself for another 3 seconds when I turned the key back to me? Just in case that is anything related.
My new coils showed up today but the Module won't be here until Tuesday. I am tempted to throw just one coil in to replace the bad one just to see where I would be sitting at that time, then replace everything Tuesday or Wednesday.

DazzleDaz

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that link for me and future readers because even though I was getting code P0446 I just felt like it was in the sparking area and not the fuel area. That is why I started with plugs and wires, I have looked up P0446 in a million different ways to figure out which explanation seemed most fit in my situation. The link you posted made more sense (in my case) than any thread or web page thus far. I never would have imagined that an underlying spark issue would work its way to throwing off a P0446 Evap code.

My update for the day for reviewers and future readers. I took one of the 3 new coil packs and replaced the one that melted and cracked and tried to start it just to see where I was sitting with everything. When I turned the key all that happen was a lot of clicking or ticking noise coming from the coil pack area. I only turned the key for half a second to hear it and left it. My module control will be here in the mail in 4-5 days so I will update again when I have that and all new coil packs installed.

DazzleDaz

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that link for me and future readers because even though I was getting code P0446 I just felt like it was in the sparking area and not the fuel area. That is why I started with plugs and wires, I have looked up P0446 in a million different ways to figure out which explanation seemed most fit in my situation. The link you posted made more sense (in my case) than any thread or web page thus far. I never would have imagined that an underlying spark issue would work its way to throwing off a P0446 Evap code.

My update for the day for reviewers and future readers. I took one of the 3 new coil packs and replaced the one that melted and cracked and tried to start it just to see where I was sitting with everything. When I turned the key all that happen was a lot of clicking or ticking noise coming from the coil pack area. I only turned the key for half a second to hear it and left it. My module control will be here in the mail in 4-5 days so I will update again when I have that and all new coil packs installed.

DazzleDaz

Reaction score
I just wanted to leave a link for anyone needing a module control. $72 is the best deal I have found online when my local auto store was anywhere from $200 - $400