Heads Up Display Not Working

GrandpaEd

Wisconsin
My grandson owns a 2002 Grand Prix. About 2 weeks ago, the Heads Up Display suddenly stopped working. He checked the fuse and that is fine. He took it to the local Chevy/GMC dealer and a guy in the repair department didn't even look at the car, but said that the Heads Up Display module is bad. He wants over $500 just for the part.

Could there be some other reason that the Heads Up Display suddenly quit working?

Has anyone had this happen with their Grand Prix? If so, could you give me some information as to what we should check or look for?

$500 is a lot of money and it sure would be great if there were some other things we could try instead of just having the dealer order the expensive part.

GrandpaEd

Wisconsin
The link you sent is about the mirror dropping out and the information being displayed at the top of the windshield. That is not my grandson's problem. My grandson's HUD is not working at all.

I'm looking for other possible causes of the HUD not working, besides that the control module is bad.

I know there is a switch that turns the HUD on or off or dims it. Could that switch be bad?

Has anyone had any problem with a wire breaking or coming disconnected from the switch?

However, I'll try YouTube to see if there might be something there that would be helpful. Thank you for that idea.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would Start with replacing the Bulb, or at least checking for power at the bulb before I started with the switch,

wstefan20

Raytown, MO
There is no "bulb" on these head up displays. It is a vacuum fluorescent display. These are very easy to come by at the junkyard. If you have power to the unit, then it needs to be replaced as an assembly. I have access to these and could probably get one shipped for less than $50 if you're interested, just PM me.

98gpgtp

ohio
the issue is several solder joints on the hud circuit board. very easy to fix, even for the non diy'er. ive had this issue on 3 of the 5 grand prix's ive owned. look up a repair video. its just two or three wires that need some flux and re soldered. 20 minute fix.

cjhuck27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcMLXFndEa0

I went through the same thing with my 2004 GTP. Check to make sure that the display is definitely not showing anything. If it is than it is the issue with the mirror. I actually had to look up through my steering wheel to see the green tint of the image. I took the dash apart, replaced the spring and viola! All fixed!

G

G-404439

There is no "bulb" on these head up displays. It is a vacuum fluorescent display. These are very easy to come by at the junkyard. If you have power to the unit, then it needs to be replaced as an assembly. I have access to these and could probably get one shipped for less than $50 if you're interested, just PM me.
Do you still have access??

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
He asked to PM him and has not been on this site in over two years. To PM click on the user name and select Start A Conversation