Heads up display

97BonnevilleSSE

Reaction score
The HUD on my 97 Bonneville suddenly stopped working. I can hear the adjusting motor run but there is no display. I can live without it, but if it's an easy fix I would like to repair it. Any ideas?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you checked for a blown fuse?
Are you sure the mirror is actually reflecting the image to the normal display area on the windshield. A broken spring can cause it to be way off.
The circuit board solder joints can fail but can be repaired.

97BonnevilleSSE

Reaction score
Ok that gives me a good starting point. Thanks! I looked in the owner's manual but I can't find a fuse for the HUD listed.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree, there does not appear to be a specific fuse for the HUD. Looking through the windshield you may be able to tell if the panel in the dash is lighting up.

97BonnevilleSSE

Reaction score
I agree, there does not appear to be a specific fuse for the HUD. Looking through the windshield you may be able to tell if the panel in the dash is lighting up.
Sorry for the delayed response. I can see the display when looking down through the windshield from outside. So I suppose my spring is broken? How do i get at it to repair it? Like i said above, I can live without it but it is a cool feature.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. I can see the display when looking down through the windshield from outside. So I suppose my spring is broken? How do i get at it to repair it? Like i said above, I can live without it but it is a cool feature.
Try Google "grand prix hud fix"

97BonnevilleSSE

Reaction score
Try Google "grand prix hud fix"
Thank you. I did google it, and came up with hud repair videos. The only ones I found were of the hud already removed from the car. Do i have to remove my dash to get it out? I know it looks that way. I'm just hoping there's an easier trick.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you. I did google it, and came up with hud repair videos. The only ones I found were of the hud already removed from the car. Do i have to remove my dash to get it out? I know it looks that way. I'm just hoping there's an easier trick.
Google "grand prix hud removal "

97BonnevilleSSE

Reaction score
Google "grand prix hud removal "
Thanks very much for the reply. Watching that guy run a screwdriver is painful, but he does show how to get in there. I'm not sure I want to take apart all of my 25 year old plastic to fix the hud. My dash doesn't rattle or squeak at all. I do appreciate your help though.